PDA

View Full Version : Planning NorCal Steel Trip - Suggestions?

jabros
09-07-2011, 05:03 PM
I’m in the process of trying to plan a week’s steelhead fishing in northern CA for my son and me. We’re shooting for the 3rd week of October or either of the first 2 weeks of November. I’m looking for some suggestions regarding which river/rivers to fish (currently thinking Trinity); where to stay (thinking Willow Creek area); when (thinking Nov 9-15, mid-week to mid-week); and a good guide for 1 day (haven’t started on that since not yet sure “where”). We’ll be walk/wading with spey/switch rods when on our own. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

shawn kempkes
09-07-2011, 05:22 PM
If you dont mind crowds go to the trinity. I would suggest fishing the klamath between Sommes bar and Happy camp. Any time in oct and november will be good. The willow creek area could be good too. Theres a good campground in Willow creek that has showers.

aaron
09-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Get in touch with Jason Hartwick who works in the shop and guides/teaches up there with Spey and Switch rods primarily. He's permited for the Trinity and Klamath and will give you a good shot at fish and get you dailed in on what to look for when you fish on your own. http://steelheadonthespey.com/Site/Guided_Trips.html

jabros
09-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Boy! You guys are quick! Thanks for the feedback. We'll definitely take your suggestions.

rouleur35
09-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi, Just got back from there. My son and I went up spur of the moment, dropped in at marble mountain ranch (www.marblemountainranch.com) and got Doug Cole ( owner ) to take us out on the trinity in the evening. He was super patient with helping my kid learn to cast ( it was only his second time) and we each got a half pounder in the 2 hours we fished. this was both our first time fishing for steelhead. they also have cabins for rent and cook meals there. We ended up meeting his wife and son as well and they all seemed really nice. We stayed at the e ne nuck campground and it was pretty good, water and vault toilets. Hope this helps, have fun.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-12-2011, 06:21 AM
That's great.....good report.

*I am a big fan of going in October if you can only go once this year.

**The Klamath River normally has the best catch ratios for us. It has those smaller Half-pounders that are pretty aggressive to the fly plus some nice adult fish.

***Getting a day with a guide will help your chances for success plus you will learn from them.

mark
09-13-2011, 09:54 AM
I agree with Bill on the Klamath. In the last 10 years the crowds on the Trinity have become ridiculous. IMO the fishing has gone downhill too..........

The Klamath is a little further but may be well worth your time. Less people, more wild and probably a better catch ratio, half pounders and potential for adults.

I am not skilled on the guides for the Klamath but am sure you will get some good recommendations from others on this site. I will say it never hurts to have a guide from the area, especially with Steelhead, as they are so difficult to get the learning curve on.

Have a blast, send some pictures our way when you are done.