PDA

View Full Version : Easy wading for dad??

esummers
09-07-2011, 04:19 PM
My dad is in town for a couple of weeks (Loomis) and I'd like to take him fishing for trout or even smallies. I need a place that's easy to wade. I took him up to the North Fork of the Yuba and even that was pretty difficult for him to get around. He's up in his 70's now and isn't very confident on rocks.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys had some recommendations in the Tahoe, American, etc. areas that would be easy to get to and for him to negotiate.

Thanks for your help

Eric

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-07-2011, 07:50 PM
I would hire a good local drift boat guide like Keith Kaneko and have him float you guys down the Lower Yuba River for wild trout and wild Steelhead.

Keith can supply everything needed too.

http://www.norcalflyfishing.com/

Fly Guy Dave
09-08-2011, 07:25 AM
My dad is in town for a couple of weeks (Loomis) and I'd like to take him fishing for trout or even smallies. I need a place that's easy to wade. I took him up to the North Fork of the Yuba and even that was pretty difficult for him to get around. He's up in his 70's now and isn't very confident on rocks.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys had some recommendations in the Tahoe, American, etc. areas that would be easy to get to and for him to negotiate.

Thanks for your help

Eric

A few weeks ago, someone inquired about a place to fly fish with easy access for someone on crutches. If your father is not the most steady on his feet on the side of a stream, I'll again recommend the West Carson, the Hope Valley section. It's a beautiful place, flat and grassy and plenty of planted trout. It's not too far away and I think a good choice for an elderly caster. If you wanted to drive a bit, the Upper or Lower Owens are also easy access and have a forgiving bank to walk on.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave

El Rey
09-08-2011, 04:53 PM
As in the similar post some time ago, I will second the West Carson. When my wife was using her walker the HP access was perfect. It's easy walking out in the meadow from there.

Or, if he can walk a half mile or so on level ground, the middle of the meadow section of the Little Truckee is easy going. No rock hopping.