PDA

View Full Version : River and Guide advice needed

JohnS
09-06-2011, 08:21 PM
I would like to take my brother FF Sept 30-Oct 1. he is a novice first class. he did take a quick casting lesson from the fly shop in Breckenridge while we were there this summer and fished two different rivers. He's not very accomplished but he's willing to give it a try.

Since he's coming from LA, I would prefer the Yuba but the Lower Sac is a slim possibility. We would have to drive back to Salinas on sat night after we finished fishing and it's a good 6-7 hour trip. Yuba city is 4.5 hours.

My question is will the Yuba be in shape at that time (usually the egg drop is mid Sept isn't it?) or would it be so off that the extra time to Redding would be worth it?

Then whichever place you recommend, is there a guide that guides on that river and that works well with beginners that you might recommend?

If you feel uncomfortable about naming guides online, send me a PM or email. I won't post any comments.

Thanks in advance
John

aaron
09-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Hi John
Check out our guides page. http://www.kiene.com/reports/localguides.shtm#loweryuba (http://www.kiene.com/forums/../reports/localguides.shtm#loweryuba)
The Yuba, Feather, and Sac all should be fishing at that time. All of the guides we recommend are first rate and great with beginners. Check out their respective pages to get a feel for each. Hope this helps.
-Aaron

BenFishin
09-06-2011, 08:58 PM
given those parameters, you should consider taking him striper fishing in the delta. you could find a guide that does fly & conventional gear, that way your chances for catching are much greater. if you go to the central or south delta the drive back will be a breeze. more fishing, less driving &...bigger fish ;-)

Victor Yee
09-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Can't possibly go wrong spending the day with Keith Kaneko. Knowledgeable, hard working, -a true gentleman and very professional. An all-round great guy. Hands down... my favorite guide. His reputation is undeniable. He is on the list that is recommended by Kiene's.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Can't possibly go wrong spending the day with Keith Kaneko. Knowledgeable, hard working, -a true gentleman and very professional. An all-round great guy. Hands down... my favorite guide. His reputation is undeniable. He is on the list that is recommended by Kiene's.

I would give Keith a call or email him because he is very busy.

Keith has everything needed including cutting edge tackle and flies.

He also fishes lots of different methods so you learn a lot with him:

Dry fly, indicator nymphing, swinging emergers, swinging streamers, plus he can introduce you into the Spey/two-handed world.

http://www.norcalflyfishing.com/

Jed Peters
09-07-2011, 07:22 AM
I would give Keith a call or email him because he is very busy.

Keith has everything needed including cutting edge tackle and flies.

He also fishes lots of different methods so you learn a lot with him:

Dry fly, indicator nymphing, swinging emergers, swinging streamers, plus he can introduce you into the Spey/two-handed world.

http://www.norcalflyfishing.com/

Except that I've got him booked on the 29th and the 1st!

Maybe you can get him on the river the 30th? :D

I am a Kaneko guy on the yuba, and a Ryan Johnson guy on the lower sac...

burl51
09-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Call Dave Barbieri at 916-224-7444 he is on the yuba almost every day and knows every slot in the lower river.

Great patient guide. Tell him Kim Neill sent ya

RJSFLYTRIP
09-08-2011, 05:56 AM
That time of year the Yuba is going to be better for the egg bite. But with that said you will probably hook more fish on the Sac. You always hook more fish on the Sac as compared to the Yuba. But the Yuba fish fight twice as hard as compared to the Sac. That time of year on the Yuba it is pretty common to hook 20-25 rainbows on the Yuba. Which for the Yuba is huge. But on the Lower Sac you typically would land that many fish. So that means you are hooking between 35-40 rainbows on a decenet day. Those are pretty much averages and its pretty hard to beat the Sac when it comes to numbers. But one thing I can tell you is that the Yuba that time of year is a special place. If you opt for the Sac there will not be any egg fishing at that point.

I am currently booked for Sept. 30 - Oct 1. But I do have Oct. 2-6 available if you have any flexibility in your schedule. Send me a PM if you are interested.

My other recommendation for a guide is Hogan Brown. He is a personal friend of mine and pretty much grew up on the river. You can contact Hogan by email at hoganbrown@hotmail.com.

Let me know if you need any additional help.

Good Luck.

Ryan Johnston
www.rjsflytrips.com