PDA

View Full Version : Truckee Area Update...II

Frank R. Pisciotta
09-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Well, my psyche must be anticipating fall & winter...but not too soon. We're hoping for a prolonged Indian summer in the mountains; after last year's extended winter. While splitting some rounds in the back of my place, I noticed some ground vegetation was starting to turn yellow and the bottom of the pine-clusters are brownish. Tree and ground varmits are actively gathering fodder for storage. The weather remains really pleasant and the evenings are progressively getting cooler.

The BT has provided rising trout during late morning and at dusk in runs and pools. It is flowing at 256 cfs above Prosser and 552 cfs below Boca. I'm anticipating the forecasted clouds and thunderstorms at the end of the week; should cool the water temps and may trigger a more intensive, sub-surface bite...we'll see.

The LT is very thin at 101cfs out of the dam. The bigger trout are there, but being supplanted in the catch with the smaller
and very aggressive stream-bred rainbows and browns. With the lower flows we're seeing more heads. They are very educated and selective...Spring creek tactics apply.

We have plenty of water for a fabulous SECOND SEASON of fly fishing.

Frank R. Pisciotta

www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com

Frank R. Pisciotta
09-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Thursday I fished a client on the BT, both a section of the Glenshire and then below Prosser inflow from 8:30 AM-4PM. We left Glenshire at noon and fished the water near the Loop. 15-16 trout were hooked (not to mention those missed) and 8-9 RainBows landed, all wild, 8”-17”. This is decent fly fishing for the BT. Most trout produced via indicator fishing (5’-6’ drop to first tandem fly) and most misses were on a dry-dropper rig.

Producting sub-surface flies were #18 Olive Micro-May, #16 BHFBPT, a #14 Flesh Juan and a #10 Stimulator for the dry on the dry/dropper. In both areas there were all of only three trout that exposed themselves at the surface. Very few bugs were observed in flight except for some micro-caddis. Surprisingly, lots of golden stonefly nymph shucks...some still fresh...on the rocks; although none in flight or observed in the willows or grasses. Water temps never exceeded 62 degrees. Flow are friendly.

I've got some sniffles now; most likely the result that I'm still wet-wading. The days are still warm but seem to be getting cooler; especially in the mornings. With the current over-cast and occassional slight drizzle I'm starting to think about getting in my waders...soon.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
09-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Yesterday (Sunday the 11th) we received our first significant thunder, lighting & showers in the Truckee area. Right now the sun is attempting to break through the heavy cloud-cover. This pattern will continue for the next 3-4 days. Personally I'm hoping for this pattern to cease and anticipate a long Indian summer...we'll see. Either way the fishing will continue to improve; as previosuly mentioned, there is plenty of water and progressively hungry trout.

I'll be on the water on both the BT and LT Tuesday thru Friday. My intent is to provide a current fly fishing report at the end of the week...stay tuned.

Frank R. Pisciotta

joh
09-12-2011, 12:44 PM
I was in the Truckee area on Saturday. We saw it raining quite a ways north of there during the afternoon, and even a few drops came down briefly during our late-lunch break in town. Where we were fishing, there was zero rain, and the intermittent cloud cover made for better dry fly fishing.

It's been a spectacular season so far.

Frank R. Pisciotta
09-12-2011, 02:36 PM
joh---Indeed, Saturday I personally did not experience showers; a couple of attempts at drizzle. I live in Tahoe Donner, above town , my home being 500 feet higher in elevation. The Truckee area has micro-climates; it can be balmy in one area and 5-6 miles away thunderstorms & lightning...or hail. The latter lasted about 15 minutes and just has as quickly as it arrived, it passed through.

The sun is now breaking through the Cumulonimbus and/or Mammatus clouds...according to my Quick Study meteorology "cheat-sheet".
:roll:
Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
09-22-2011, 07:14 PM
I've been keeping a daily log since I promised an update on conditons in the Truckee area. Well in lieu of that I thought I'd paste an e-conversation with a repeat client. His comments in black & mine in red...

Hey Frank,

I hope all is well with you.

…doing fine & enjoying the beautiful fall weather. Thank you for your continued interest in my services.

How has it been for the past couple of weeks? Will the fishing be any good next weekend in Tahoe?

I’m not a clairvoyant & seldom with complete assuredly predict what is happening in advance but fishing has been pretty decent the last three weeks and I feel it will continue. Admittedly I’d like to see more cloud-cover though. The days have been mild. The waters are low & clear but we’re catching trout on the big Truckee up to 16”. Most are 8”-12” wild rainbows & browns…90% being the former. Producing methods have been dry/dropper and indicator rigs; the latter being the most productive.

We’ve been working the water above Hirschdale all the way to Trout creek (low flows here but the trout are willing). I’m seriously thinking about using a 4 wt in the upper section because the fish are smallish, but very aggressive and feisty. They are eating small flies. The best fly has been a #16 or #18 BHFBPT, followed by #18 Micro-May…either trialing a #14 Flesh Juans while fishing deep or a #14 Stimulator in a dry/drop sert-up. I'm dropping the sub-surface fly under the Stimulator longer than normal; 24”-30”.

AM’s have been the best time and it slows in the early afternoon. As the sun fades the last 1-1/2 hours perks things up as far as willing trout. Leaving at 2PM I haven’t recorded a water temp of over 63…a decent temp. There are few aquatics in flight and the hoppers remain thick. But, if there is no wind…hasn’t been a lot…hoppers are not haphazardly landing in the water; so I haven’t used specific hopper patterns since they're not always available.

As for the Little Truckee….forgetaboutit!. I’m not taking any clients there right now because the water is way too low at 15-17 cfs. During a Bureau of Reclamation 6 year inspection it was noticed that a gasket was leaking or defective. They are working on it now. Until that is completed and the flows are increased I will not fish it or take clients there…the trout are really exposed to predators right now...and that includes us!

If you think it will be good, Caitlin and I would like to come up on Saturday 10/1. Are you available? I am also hoping we could hit some spots that are more off the beaten path. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

I do not have a confirmed booking for Saturday, October 1…keep me informed.

Frank

Frank R. Pisciotta
09-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Fall is here. It is over-cast now and into tommorrow, and then forecasted sunny days this coming week.

We're getting browns & rainbows on both running & stillwaters. The trout are eating flies as small as #20 & 22 FlashBack Olive WD-40's, #18 BHFBPT's, #16 Rubber-Legged Copper-Johns, #14 Flesh Juans and #10 Carey Specials. The larger browns have displayed spawning colors and the rainbows are smaller, but more numerous.

I was surprised yesterday as to how few people were on the water. The productive fly fishing will continue until the snows fall.

Frank R. Pisciotta

NOTE:

"I'm a firm believer in synthesizing information. Several contributors to this BB provide their take on what is happening in the Truckee area from a fly fishing perspective. All of it is helpful; so gather a bit of wisdom here & there and you'll get a pretty decent idea as to what is actually happening in the immediate Truckee area's waters." (previously posted on this BB)

I’ve been fly fishing this area since building my first home here in 1979 and guiding exclusively in the Truckee area since 1984. My contributions on fly fishing conditions in the Truckee area are both first-hand and the result of being plugged-in to a network of local, resident, Truckee fly anglers…

Frank R. Pisciotta
09-26-2011, 04:15 PM
as in my previous post:

"...The trout are eating flies as small as #20 & 22 FlashBack Olive WD-40's..."

...to be more specific, the above pattern is also known as a WD-50

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
09-29-2011, 09:23 AM
We have been seeing lots of of good-sized (1-1/4"-2-1/4") stonefly shucks on the rocks of the BT above the CA/NV border during the last month. Sightings of the adult has been nil until this last Tuesday. I did not have my camera with me (being repaired) so I haven't attached images of either the shucks or adults.

Most of us have simply suggested that it is a late hatch of Goldens. But, I'm not convinced that is correct. The reason being 1) the abodominal coloration is in the yellowish hues (looks like a huge Skwala) as opposed to the Golden and 2) the emergence is really late relative to the normal Golden appearances on the Truckee during mid-June into July.

The only book I have on stoneflies is Stoneflies by Richards, Swisher & Arbona (1980). In it they speak about a western, August-September emergence of a genus/species named Claassenia Sabulosa (no common name) which at full maturity is up to 32 mm in length.

Can someone enlighten or educate me on my speculation of this bug? :-k

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
This morning we're seeing clear blue skies in Truckee. Right now at 10:30 AM the outdoor temp at my place is 42 degrees. During the last two days of snowy weather I received 5"-6" of heavy, wet snow at my home's 6500' elevation. The existing low, snow-pack should burn-off in a couple of days of the predicted sunny days this week. Then we're anxious to return to the really productive fly fishing we were experiencing prior to this small snow-blip.

Both stillwaters & running waters are producing trout now and it will continue until we get the first really serious snow-fall. The most productive fishing will remain methods sub-surface. We're anticpating the last brood BWO's on both the BT and LT so that we may enjoy some mid-day surface targets.

This week-end I'll be at the NCFFF Conclave in Reno. I'll be in the Sierra Fisherman magazine/Orvis booth in addition to presenting on two occassions. One session will be about fly fishing opportunities in the Truckee area and then Al Smatsky and I will give a talk on southern Chile. On Thursday, October 13 I will be presenting to the Granite Bay Fly Fishers.

...now is a really good-time to visit/fly fish this area.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
10-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Tommorrow, Sunday, October 16 is Truckee River Day in the Truckee area. There will be numerous projects...some on-going...such as restoration work on the Little Truckee and along the main Truckee. So, I'd like to forewarn anglers that there will be lots of volunteers on the local waterways. Hence very little solitude which is common for this time of year.

Quickly, as for the fly fishing...it remains productive. The flows on both the BT and LT are very friendly; all the way to the CA/NV stateline. Water temps are conducive to triggering the feeding metabolism of both the Browns & RainBows. They seem to sense that winter is approaching so they are bulking-up and feeding aggressively. Streamers are duping the big guys and nymphing has been the most consistent method. In the lower flows above Prosser Creek inflow, dry/droppers are are fooling mostly RB's with an occassional brown to 13".

Bugs being observed are BWO's, October Caddis and micro-caddis. Producing flies have been attractor down-wings (#6-18), #14-18 ""generics" (BHFBPT, HaresEars & Princes) and #18-22 midge larva & pupae (dark), trailing #14 Flesh Juans. Also, swinging October Caddis Pupae will get some tugs.

PLEASE, do not harass the Browns that are starting to set-up redds, with thus far few on them. Let them do their thing without being harassed.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
10-25-2011, 08:57 AM
WOW...really crowded on some waters this past week-end. Maybe it was a last chance for some fly anglers to visit; before the weather changes. We've experienced a very pleasant Indian summer; now there is climate change; cooler & more cloud-cover. But, the trout are still eating & the catching remains very good and should continue to be so, if not get even better.

I've got a couple more days of guiding scheduled & have been on a "run". Later in the week (...and having done some personal angling) I'll post a more thorough report; specifically about flies, methods and trout being netted.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
11-01-2011, 06:19 AM
"...I've got a couple more days of guiding scheduled & have been on a "run". Later in the week (...and having done some personal angling) I'll post a more thorough report; specifically about flies, methods and trout being netted."

Frank R. Pisciotta

I know better than making promises. Got really busy with my own fly fishing
pleasure & business...and preparing for a steelhead trip to the Trinity.

Last week the flyfishing in the Truckee area remained productive. The key has been being on the water at the right times. The major change has been the weather with mornings being in the mid-20's. Best times have been late-morning to late afternoon. Lots of BWO's being observed, but few head-targets. Indicator nymphing and streamer fishing remain the best options for hook-ups. The weather can change quickly and change the prospects of successful fly angling.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Frank R. Pisciotta
11-16-2011, 11:07 AM
We're still experiencing fabulous fall weather in the Truckee area. The fly fishing remains productive with several 20"-plus trout netted by either clients or myself during the week-plus of my return from the Trinity.

Bugs are present, sparsely, with few fish eating on top. Sub-surface angling remains the most productive method. Lead/tin is required to probe the bottom-water-column...where the fish are. Remain flexible by adding or substracting weight and remember to adust the drop from your indicator at each water-type you fish.

Flies....San Juans, eggs...some colors better than other of the two aforementioned...
#16-18 BHFBPT, FBHE, FBPT, Olive #20-22 WD 40 and black midges #20-#24 (off-set/open the gap on these tiny patterns). We even had a large brown eat a #16 Cripple (used as an indicator-dry) on Tuesday...it uncorked on a down-stream surge.

Best times are 10 AM-3 PM

If jonsing for a Truckee area fix, get up here while you can; access to all preferred venues are still available...before the snow limits your options. The fishing is really good right now.

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS---New posting at www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com, hopefully by this Sunday, November 20.

Frank R. Pisciotta
11-22-2011, 12:11 PM
I tried (didn't have time) to update my blog. I'm currently on my way to Turkey Day at friends' place on the Rappahannock (sp?) river in Virginia. I do not know if I'll have an Internet connection.

So below are excerpts from e-notes to friends on existing conditions. As mentioned in my previous post; times and methods still apply; subject to access.

"You’re hitting the LT and BT at the right time. The weather is holding (this week, except more snow tommorrow) and there are large Browns in both the BT and LT right now…several landed, five (5) in the 20”-23” range. There has been two larger ones on, but uncorked; one we never saw that was on for 2-3 minutes (guess it was minimally 25") and another whose caudal fin was the size of my palm!"

"...eggs, Flesh Juans, #18 FBPT’s, #18-20 FB WD-40 and #20-22 black midges…3-5 # 6 shot. Flows are nice at 104 cfs".

"I helped DFG electro-shock during last week on the LT. We tickled-up one at 29”.

Frank R. Pisciotta