PDA

View Full Version : Sept/Oct/Nov for nice Steelheading.....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-05-2011, 08:27 AM
As you my know, in September the weather is still usually hot here in Nor Cal but up north in Alaska, which is the upper range for Steelhead, it has is already turning cold.

Down here in Nor Cal and up in Oregon in September we like to get out on the water casting and swinging dark winged Steelhead patterns in the surface as early as it is legal. You need to be driving to the runs with your headlights on or you are missing the early morning bite in hot weather with clear skys. Evening during the low light can be very good too. Mid-day many take a big break and even a nap to be rested for the early and late action.

Water temps are also a big concern in the early fall which keeps the fish out of the shallow slow tail-outs where they are so cool to fish with a fly. Fish do hold in deeper shaded runs and in areas just below the mouth of cold tributaries to stay cool early on in the fall.

Sun on the water in general is not a good thing so that is why early and late in the day is so important. Near the coast you can have fog in the morning which is good. You can also fish in the day time in the shade of steep canyon walls upriver like on the Klamath River.

Funny, I had a friend up on the Klamath River during a period with fall forest fires and he reported that the fishing was good all day long in the darkness created by the smoke.

October is averagely better because the weather starts cooling and we can get some rain and overcast which makes it better. Water temps get better for Steelhead to hold in slower water where we can get a fly to them easier.

This is why I push October so hard for classic swinging of flies for Steelhead especially with a floating line.

November can turn very cold which means going to sink-tips and weighted flies. This is still all good but the days are getting shorter and you can start getting more unpredictable weather too. The weather and water can get very cold which makes the fish slow down some and us old guys start stoving up too. One good thing about November it that you can fish all day long.

This all just basic information that we use to help narrow down the time to go fishing for Steelhead with flies.

The main thing is to get some time on the calendar this October for Steelhead.

If you need any help planning a trip just email or PM me or come into the shop.