PDA

View Full Version : MLPA's Again....

Darian
08-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Interesting how the wheel turns and I've had mixed feelings about the implementation of MLPA's but it appears that the governing body is just as screwed up as everyone else. For example, implementation of the south coast MLPA's was delayed as the Office of Administrative Law was unable to meet the commissions target date of 10/1/11. I just received an e-mail from the commission stating that it would take up a new target date for implementation at there September meeting in (guess where....) Redding, CA. Probably could've picked a location further from the south coast or even the ocean but I really don't see how.... :rolleyes:

Just another FUBAR!!!!!

Larry S
08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
MLPA's - a lot of pseudo- and voodoo- science. Plus a lot of anti-fishing
corporate money to keep the process alive. Many conflicts of interest.
Best to all,
Larry S

mems
08-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Aloha Darian, they have been trying things like that over here in Hawaii. It is pretty stupid then the only ones fishing will be the poachers. I wish they would enforce regulations and encourage catch and release and slot limits for certain species, like papio. I have been to the DLNR presentations and they won't listen to me. It is just some guys get funding to do a study and then no money for enforcement. The Hawaiians had an excellent kapu system and managed their fisheries very effectively, now it is just chaos. Common sense take a back seat to political interests. Mems.

Larry S
08-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Since retiring in 2000, I have surf fished the stretch of San Diego beach north from
Scripps Pier thru La Jolla Farms and Blacks and Torrey. My catch (and all released)
numbers are drastically reduced in the last 5 years. One could argue that the area is
fished out. But, wait.
Around 2004, there was a huge sand replenishment project. Sand dredged from
offshore was dumped on beaches, many of which were north of us. Tourists
don't like cobble beaches. Due to a predominant southbound longshore current,
much of that sand now sits where I fish. We no longer see cobble beaches in the winter
along my stretch. We no longer see big rips and big holes; both of which are feeding
zones for the surf fish. Voodoo science would say the area is fished out. My
observations tell me that the fish have moved to find better feeding zones.
Whenever we see a temporary rip, we find a few fish.
Nothing in the MLPA's prohibit or require special permits for more sand projects.
End of rant (for awhile, anyway.)
Larry S