PDA

View Full Version : sage tcx 6119 vs z-axis 7110

steve2010
08-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Has anyone used both of these rods?
I have a z-axis 7110 that I primarily use for overhand blind casting for bones.
Once in a great while I'll use it for spey casting for steelhead.
It works well but it's a little taxing on the arms.
Thinking of something lighter and faster.
I was thinking of replacing it will a tcx 6119 which I'd use for overhead blind casting for bones and shad on the american.
i have a tcx 7126 to cover larger applications.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-30-2011, 01:46 PM
I think the 5 weight TCX Switch would work for Shad and Bones as long as the flies are smaller. For any larger flies maybe go with the #6.

The TCX feel much faster and lighter than the Z-Axis Switch.

Grampa Spey
09-12-2011, 07:12 AM
On the Trinity and Russian I use my 7110 with the Rio one handed WF10F out of a guide boat and on the shore for steelhead. I have cast all day with it and never felt tired with it.

Shad fishing in tight quarters I use the 7110 with a Rio Skagit Flight 550 or 650 the higher weight is for those really windy days. This June I fished for Shad on the Yuba. The water was very high, and we were fishing out of the willows. The wind was high, and I used the Skagit Flight 650. Also, I used the MOW T11 5' sinking tip.

I caught hot fish all day. My damaged right shoulder and right rotator cuff were fine. Standing in the high fast water wore out the rest of my body.

3 years ago this month I got to fish in the near coastal waters from Jacksonville to St Augustine. I used the 7011 with 7' versi tips and a the heaviest Outbound I could buy. I fishing from the fantail and outfished two natives/locals with a mix of fish. You had to cast 70' to get the wary fish. The two brothers/locals had one handed rods. Inspite of being good casters, the wind busted most of their casts.

I have the Death Star and it works well with Shad on the American and Yuba if I'm fishing from an area where I can have a little backcast. The Death Star or my ZA7136 if I have room for D loops and the river is wide where I'm wading are my Steelhead Rods. If I have to go deep, I use the Death Star and the MOW's. If the fish aren't that deep, I use the 15' Spey Versi leaders with the 7136 and the Rio AFS 7/8 head. That combo is all most as comfortable to cast as my ZA 6126 with the AFS 6/7 head.

Meet Bill or one of his good people on the American and have them bring you the TCX and with some recommended lines and see which rod you like best.