PDA

View Full Version : No St Croix at Kiene's?

luckydude
08-29-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm mulling getting another rod and am partial to St Croix.

I wandered over to the shop online and no St Croix unless I missed them. Anyone know why they don't like 'em?

aaron
08-29-2011, 02:19 PM
We carry the Imperial line of switch rods which at $250 are really unmatched in value. We also carry the Kelly Galloup Bank Robber series of streamer rods. The rest of their lines are nice but we have plenty of other excellent choices in the same price points.

luckydude
08-29-2011, 03:48 PM
I'd be interested in what you'd suggest in a 3wt / 4wt / 5wt. I've got an old Sage and I like the more recent Legend Ultra better. Might be just me though.

Also have a couple of 4wt Imperials that I bought for the kids and I find myself fishing those quite a bit, they are shorter and in brush quite pleasant. I was very surprised at how good they are for $200. Sweet deal.

Larry S
08-29-2011, 04:01 PM
I have the St Croix Imperial 5wt switch. Aaron and Andy did a great job of setting
things up for me. I keep it in Michigan for summers. Had limited use in June
due to high winds; hope to have more opportunities next month back there.
Speaking of St Croix, my favorite rod is the St Croix Ultra Legend 6-wt Saltwater
with fighting butt. The older two piece version is used in the surf year-round.
The four piece has seen only freshwater. Very versatile.
Best,
Larry S

aaron
08-29-2011, 04:12 PM
in the value category the Redington Classic Trout line is very very nice at only $150.

luckydude
08-29-2011, 04:39 PM
in the value category the Redington Classic Trout line is very very nice at only $150.

Well, I don't think of the legend ultra as value category, it's more of a high quality light fast rod. If I wanted cheap I'm happy with the Imperials for my kids.

I'm more looking for what would be in a sage class rod. Maybe I need to drive out there and cast 'em but if it's not value, it's light weight, fast action, presentation (yeah, I know that last one doesn't quite fit) - what would you suggest?

I'm coming from fish a ~20 year old sage 5wt and then a few years back I got a legend ultra 4wt - like the 4 better, the 5 feels like overkill.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-29-2011, 04:42 PM
The Sage VXP is around $500 with a Cordura covered rod & reel case is what we sell in that price point.

**St.Croix was doing well in fly shops a few years ago until all the imported rods came to be, like TFO, Echo, Redington.

Plus many big companies have their imported lines like Sage, Orvis, Winston.

Too much competition now.....