PDA

View Full Version : Elk hair problems

lcpl.allan
08-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Been tying up some elk hair caddis and I'm running into problems when tying the elk hair in. I'm not able to tie the head very cleanly even after cutting the base ends at an angle and making two loose loops and then pulling the thread straight up and and wrapping a couple times and then at a 45 through the head. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh

Jgoding
08-29-2011, 09:29 AM
One of the main problems with that pattern and tying in one big clump for the wing. Most people leave a small butt section left after trimming. Guess it looks like the head or something. I assume you want to cover up all the butts and make a nice thread head?

lcpl.allan
08-29-2011, 10:54 AM
I actually want to leave the tag ends to create a head on body. I just have a hard time creating a good clean head like you see on the picture perfect flies. I know I won't be tying something like that, but at least I can get close.

Also, I feel as if I can't get the elk hair good and tight up against the hook and it wants to always twist on me. I'm about 50-50 on getting that right.

Josh

Darian
08-29-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm still not clear on what the actual issue is. :confused: Thread to thick??? I do have two minor suggestions. First, before making the initial wraps to tie in the hair, you might use a drop of penetrating cement on the hook shank. That should help with keeping the material on top of the hook. When setting the hair, grip between thumb and forefinger, wrap your loops between the fingers and the hair and then pull the thread tight.

Second, I believe that you're making too many wraps to avoid forming a head that will not appear ragged. :-k Don't make the last few turns of thread thru the head. Just tie off to the shank, under the hair. Cement and you should be ready to go. :D :D

lcpl.allan
08-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Darian,
All of that is about what I've been trying but I still can't seem to get the tags end to flare neatly and evenly to form a head, as in an elk hair caddis. Unfortunately I don't have a way to add pictures on this computer otherwise I would be. I think that would make it a little easier.

Jgoding
08-29-2011, 12:36 PM
ahh, I got you. The trick is grabbing the butts well enough to get a good clean snip. Try twisting them together slightly before trimming and slide your lower scissor blade underneath the whole bundle before you cut.. The other thing to try is kind of clip the wing to length before tying them in. Just have to make sure to hold it well and keep it bundled when you tie in. When you tighten it down, use you off-hand and position your fingers on each side of the bundle, kind of pinching it to keep it on top of the hook as you secure it.

I will try to post some patterns as alternatives. I prefer a Nelson style caddis over the typical Elk-hair. More realistic profile to me and floats better.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Jimmie
08-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Take a look at these. Hope they help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ZyaEoc3HU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmHEqwoZlYQ

Good Luck!

Take Care,

Jimmie

Terry Imai
08-31-2011, 09:25 AM
After you snip your elk hair from the hide, are you running your sissor tips through there to clear out the underfur?? I know that's a basic question but that needs to be done (if you don't currently do that) to reduce the amount of hair. The other thing is trying to find the perfect pelt for your elk hair caddis. It's like Goldilocks where some elk are too thin and some are too fat when you actually cinch down with your thread. Your first loop is slightly snug and the adjoining next to the first cinch (not on top) is the one that actually secures it. I have hides where if I attempt to cinch down flare up.

Check out different hides since no two hides are the same to determine which one makes the best wing material and make that one your elk hair wings.