PDA

View Full Version : Feather river advice please...

Ryan
08-27-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm thinking I'm gonna go try the lower feather for stripers tomorow. Is anyone willing to let me in on a little advice as to where I should put my boat in at? I've never fished the river before, but have always wanted to from seeing the massive fish taken there on this board. Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Thanks! I was thinking I was gonna try to fish around marrysville and yuba city... but if anyone suggests otherwise I'll reconsider.

Tony Buzolich
08-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Ryan, One thing you didn't mention is the size and type of boat you have. I was on the Feather yesterday with my boat, a 19' Harbercraft w. 115 Mercury prop. and there were lots of places that I could have easily gotten stuck. Some of the most open areas are only a foot or two deep and boats are getting stuck quite often. A small jet would be ideal but even then there are lots of snags you have to watch out for.

As for fishing around Yuba City you have three ramps to choose from. The city ramp next to the fair ground, the Marysville ramp across the river on the east side, and a few miles south of town you have Boyd's Pump.

Get out as early as you can see safely to travel. I took 10-12 small stripers yesterday before 8:00am. Once the sun hit the water, the fish just plain quit and headed for any deep water troughs they could find.

Probably one of the best places you might find a larger fish would be between the 10th St. bridge and under the 5th St. bridge. The water is fairly deep here. The problem now though is all the boat traffic from guys salmon fishing. The parking lot at the city ramp is packed every day.

Hope this helps,
TONY

Ryan
08-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks Tony, I really appreciate the advice. And I'm using a small 14' jon boat, so I don't think I should have too big of a problem with getting stuck... But good heads up I'll deffinately keep my eye out for the shallower water. Thats really cool of you to head me in the right direction on your local river!