PDA

View Full Version : Lost Fly Box on Truckee

DH
08-25-2011, 10:43 PM
I know this is a shot in the dark but I apparently dropped my medium C and F fly box on the main Truckee near Hirschdale on August 14. It's loaded with nymphs albeit not all of great quality. If anyone has any knowledge of it please let me know via post. Reward to be offered. Thank you.

bigfly
08-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Fly, I'm around there a bit, and hear about things river/fly related.
I'll keep an eye peeled. Considering time elapse, and traffic, I'd start tying....
PM me with the route you took.

Jim

k9mark
08-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Oh my, needle in a haystack. If found, hard to put much stock in fellow man these times to return it.

BillB
08-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Keep up the faith K9mark. After two different post on the two best boards I was able to return the tip of a fly rod to its owner. Just by chance he stumbled on the post. Interesting thing, in all of California, and else where people read these boards, the owner of the rod tip lives about 10 miles from me. It is possible for your flys to return. Maybe they just haven't been found yet.

gilligan
08-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Send me an email, or give me a call, I'll take a walk down and see if I can find it for you.

gilligan@cebridge.net

www.gilligansguideservice.com
www.gilligansguideservice.com/blog/

Terry Imai
08-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Since I'm so an*l retentive, I got those free return labels from the non-profits organizations and place several of them in the inside of my fly boxes. If you figure that a large C&F can hold a few hundred bugs, there's quite an investment (and time if you tied the majority of the patterns) when compared to rest of your equipment. I was on my private fishing club when one of my fly boxes slipped out of my vest. Luckily, the club's caretaker came accross it and it was returned to me within a few days. I would like to think better of my fellow man anytime I fish on public water but with your name and contact number just makes it easier on the finder's conscience if they come accross your lost box...

Sammy
08-30-2011, 11:07 AM
I found a fly box on the east walker during my last trip. It had some beautifully tied midges in it. Lucky for the owner, he had written his name and phone number on the box.. (although i secretly wished he hadn't)

Turns out he had tied those flies himself and was pretty bummed to have lost the box, and very happy to get it back.

My point is, doesn't hurt to put a name and phone # somewhere with your flies... It keeps the honest people honest and makes it a lot easier to return to owner.

(Just hope it wasn't the a hole crossed the river 10 yards down stream from where i was fishing)

Terry Imai
08-30-2011, 03:21 PM
In the 40+ years of fly fishing, I believe I can observe a few things about an individual's equipment and how it's maintained to get a handle of their conduct in the field and interactions with other people. I've seen guy handle their own equipment with the utmost care but you may ask them to secure your rod while you're taking off your waders. These are the dummies they would never place their own stuff directly on the ground but they'll lean your rod against your truck and let your reel rest in the sand instead of the hood of your vehicle. If and when you actually go in their vehicle, they have all of these rules about the proper placement of your wading boots but they'll throw their dirty boots in the back of your truck especially on top of your gear bag. These are the guys who probably step through your water since they're only looking for fishing for themselves.

I often look at a guy's fly box just to see what he's carrying and unless he's a fantastic tier, you can tell the difference between a hobbyist and pro tier. I get a big kick out of them when they tell me that they tied everything in their box when you know their flies were professionally tied. These guys are tough to get the straight story on anything especially on their own fishing skills and where they caught the “big ones”.

Darian
08-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Hmmm,.... Apparently, "you can tell a book by its cover".... :neutral:

Sammy
08-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Hmmm,.... Apparently, "you can tell a book by its cover".... :neutral:

HAHAHA ouch.

It's true though. You can look at my fly box and tell which ones I've tied. They are the crappiest pieces of garbage. Why do I keep them? Because get yourself into the back country and those trout or more likely to take one of my flies then a real one! They like ugly up there i guess.

Darian
08-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Actually Sammy, my comment wasn't directed at you or your situation. Sorry....:-|

Sammy
08-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Actually Sammy, my comment wasn't directed at you or your situation. Sorry....:-|

Oh I know... was just chiming in cuz I thought what you said was funny.

Terry Imai
08-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Like most activities where some score is not taken (thankfully for fishing), many stories can arise because of that. Bill used to have one individual that would come in on a daily basis who would tell of his fishing war stories and conquests. Some of those stories would be ones that he heard at other shops but by time he drove over to Bill's shop, he would put himself in the first person. My favorite was how he would go up to Pyramid Lake to cast directly into the teeth of a 20-30 mph and put his 90+ feet cast with the proper turnover of his 1 ounce wooly bugger. I asked how he knew that the cast were 90'. He said that when he shot his line out that the line would have such force at the end of the cast that his reel would literally jump into his backing!!

Bill gets a few new fly rod models shipped to his store and a few of us decide to try them out in the parking lot. While we're casting them and noticing what we like and don't like about each model; this aforementioned guy is standing off to the side commenting on our casting ability (or lack of) where the bunch of us get tired of his comments and we gang up on him to test cast one of the rods. I doubt he broke 30' with his casts and with a loop height of 5-6'. After a few casts, he muttered that his shoulder must be giving him problems with so many 90' cast the previous weekend at Pyramid.

As someone commented earlier about "book by the cover", some people may notice that I'm fishing with some newer equipment because my previous stuff has served their useful life or some of the newer equipment is something I've deemed that I cannot fish without having; but I believe that most experienced fisherman can look at another fisherman and quickly size them up by just observing how they approach the water they're going to fish; their casting ability and presentation of their bugs, and their own interactions with other fishermen on the water on where you would like them to enter or move around your working water. When all things being said, those are the real important indicators of a fisherman's own ability.

I was up at my private fishing club a few weeks ago and met another member. I could see that he was starting out fly fishing and had just minor luck and really wanted to catch a few fish for his young son along for the trip. He was fishing at a particular spot with little success when I recommended that he vary a few things. A few minutes, he ends up catching a couple of nice fish and he's a hero for his kid. How many people would probably take a suggestion from a relative stranger but rather just keep on doing the same mistake over and over again?? Many fishing guides rather guide woman clients rather than males because regardless of their own ability, most male clients refuse to listen to anything that can improve their own ability.

We fish because it's fun and relaxing. I think most of us given the choice would still want to catch fish rather than say "we had a good time getting skunked". There's a lot of good advice on this BB to improve everyone's ability whether you're a beginner or been at it for a while...

My $.02 for the day...