PDA

View Full Version : Yuba south

lcpl.allan
08-25-2011, 10:27 PM
After an early morning of fishing for bass at Rucker lake and a delicious BBQ lunch lakeside we decided to head down to south yuba for some trout.
Walked onto the water at about 4:45 and started nymphing with a prince on top and bead head pheasant tail on bottom with a couple split shot below the thingamabobber. After no luck for about 30 minutes switched over to a small elk hair caddis trying to raise something from the shadows. Still, no luck.
My buddy using spinning gear I told to use one of my princes with one split shot, told him right where to cast where I saw one holding and first cast pulls himself out about an 8" brokie.
So, I ditched the dry and dead drifted a prince with bead head pheasant, next hole landed myself about a 7" brookie.
A couple more holes and a couple more brookies.
And then, it happened, the magic hour hit once the sun was below the hills and fish started sipping small mays off the surface.
Tied on a blue wing olive and was able to land a little 7-8" rainbow and raise about four more little ones, that to no avail, was unable to properly set the hook on and let them get the last laugh.
Left the water at about 8:15 after poor casting technique and too short of a back cast gave myself a nasty birds nest.
Frustrated, happy, tired, sunburt like a sundried tomato, and a little inebriated from all the beers and some bourbon, we walked back to the truck in near pitched black and hurried home since the roommate's girlfriend decided she would come over when she couldn't get ahold of him and was frustrated because no one was there to let her in.

All in all, a pretty good way to spend a day off.

fishsticker78
08-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Nice story. Doesn't sound like the end to me (roommate gone, his girlfriend there, you've had a few drinks)...

Fly Right
08-26-2011, 06:42 PM
How was Rucker? I am thinking about heading up there next week.

lcpl.allan
08-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Hahaha!! Sticker, it was the roommate I was fishing with, so as soon as I got there he did too. The booze kept me warm at night though.

Right,
It was beautiful. Quiet, a little windy, about 70 degrees, good water temp. I think I landed about 15 bass. Fishing the southern shore line with trixie flirts in watermelon red and California 420 colors. Figured it would be easier to fish out of a kayak using spinning gear.

DAVID95670
08-27-2011, 12:50 PM
What is designated as Yuba South? Is there a listing of all the streams and areas? Finding information and locations is difficult.

I am new to the area.....

lcpl.allan
08-27-2011, 09:24 PM
David, sent you a pm with some info.

Ed Wahl
08-27-2011, 09:52 PM
That's a helluva day off, well done.
Now you need to break out a map of the Grouse Ridge area.

What was the Bourbon?

Ed

lcpl.allan
08-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Ed, being the bourbon snob I am (example: I flew to Kentucky to spend one day at the maker's mark distillery to pick up two bottles that came from a barrel that had my name on a plaque on it.) I am sad to say that it was bourbon that I had in a flask in my pack from.........last year. I completely forgot it was even in there until this trip.
I do know that it was Eagle Rare though. That was my fishing bourbon last year. Turns out that when bourbon sits in a metal flask it doesn't really get better with age.
This weekend's trip to the east Carson it will be FRESH maker's 46 in the flask.

Ed Wahl
08-27-2011, 11:56 PM
I'll tell ya what homes, INMO the drinkable bourbons start at Makers Mark and go up. Try some different ones. And it really doesn't matter what you leave in a flask and find later, when you do find it it's nectar of the gods. Oh yeah, manna from heavon.
A good bourbon, carried on a solo pack trip can even alleviate bearanoia.
Won't take it away, but it will alleviate.
Ed

lcpl.allan
08-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm right there with you Ed. Maker's is the lowest I'll go. Unless I'm trying to make one of those bears turn into yogi real quick, then it's Jim beam.
I've got a bottle of maker's with my name on the label that's signed by bill Samuels jr that's waiting for my retirement, 22 years away.
Have you tried maker's 46 yet? That's some nectar of the god's right there my friend.