PDA

View Full Version : Cordova, AK Steelies?

Bruce Berman
08-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Had to postpone a trip to Cordova due to work, but I'll be in AK for the last 2 weeks of Sept. First week I'll hit Cordova for the coho run. Second week I'll probably be steelheading on the Kenai Peninsula. I've steelheaded on the peninsula before, so I'm confident there. I just read that there ARE steelies near Cordova. Wondering if any of you have gotten into them there. I'll be on a do-it-yourself trip, car camping.

shawn kempkes
08-25-2011, 09:53 PM
south east Alaska steelhead either run late in October or are a Spring run. Plan on just fishing for silvers.

TaylerW
08-25-2011, 10:34 PM
bows in the kenai end of september are some of the biggest you may ever find. my boss here at the lodge guided on the kenai for over 15 years and he pulled biggg bows out of it in late september. 20lbs was not uncommon

Bruce Berman
08-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Shawn: I'll be a bit northwest of the area you're thinking of. After my 326th silver, I might want to try for steel :-) Since they're there, might as well find out where.

LS: Thanks. Definitely on my list for the 2nd week, although I won't have a boat.

crashq
08-26-2011, 05:47 PM
I have fished Cordova several times in September. We inquired about steelhead fishing and were told that it was pretty much a flyout only deal, and highly weather dependent (with most locations a long flight away). Take you light rods with you. Cordova has good populations of Dolly Varden and searun cutthroats, as well as some cutthroat lakes in case you want a change. In late September everything else (sockeyes. chums. etc) is pretty much over. I caught one chum salmon in early Sept. and saw quite a few bright red sockeye above the lake, but they were spawning rather than eating.

I can give you some good locations for silvers. if you would like.