PDA

View Full Version : Where to go with Broken Ankle?

JayDubP
08-22-2011, 03:38 PM
A river/stream where wife with broken ankle can hang around. Lakes are not an option. Drift boat with guide could be an option.

My wife had severe broken ankle so I have been playing house husband, cook, etc for last 4 weeks--- needless to say I am jonesing plus bored to death. Since she is still in soft, ankle cast I have to pick some place to go flog the water where she can walk near the water-- or some place on the river where she can sit in sun and read, so she will not be a bigger pain in the b$tt than she has been (those of you who have been married 30-40 years will understand ). She can walk 300 ft or so sloooowly on level ground.

I live in SF East Bay area, so was thinking of West Walker (never been there) or upper Sacto-- any other places come to mind?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

WhipperSnapper
08-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Upper owens would be perfect if she just wants to sit in the sun. No inclines or declines... Just a big open pasture.

Fly Guy Dave
08-22-2011, 03:58 PM
I believe that the West Carson (in the Hope Valley stretch) has platforms that are wheelchair accessible, so that would be an easy walk, great views, and a solid place to read a book in the sun, while you go and wet a line.

--Fly Guy Dave

Larry S
08-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Wasn't that the name of a Jeff Chandler western? WhipperSnapper suggested the
Upper Owens. Great choice, if the driving distance isn't too great. South of
Mammoth Lakes on 395, turn left at the green church. Several miles later, you'll
come to the Owens. Campground on right. Free parking on left and lots of decent
fishing. Lots of cow pies, possibly. Great restaurants up at Convict Lake and in Mammoth
Lakes. Bugs weren't bad, just a week or so ago.
Best,
Larry S

El Rey
08-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I'll second the West Carson suggestion. There is a handicapped access at the rest stop near the 88/89 intersection. Paved walkway to the river where there are benches and two casting platforms.

When my wife needed to use her walker after back surgery this was the ideal spot. She loves it still. She fishes, too.

The fishing isn't that great, but it's a beautiful spot.

Also, as mentioned somewhere else, take hwy 50 to So Tahoe, then 89 south. Carson Pass construction has long, long delays.

Cheers,
Harlan

JayDubP
08-22-2011, 07:33 PM
What I love about this forum, no matter what one of is faced with, others have been there before.

West Carson it is.

Thanks to everyone.

JIm