PDA

View Full Version : Go fast and fish

Black Cloud
08-21-2011, 03:24 PM
If you like to mt bike and fish, this is the place.Pauley and Lavazolla Creek
http://youtu.be/DWC58RibOyU. North Fork Yuba is fishing great right now.

Darian
08-21-2011, 09:57 PM
WOW!!! This one brings back a scary memory of a mountain biking adventure in that area. About 2004, being an experienced rider, I rented a mountain Bike in Downieville and took off on a ride up the Downie River into the watershed of Lavezola Creek. :nod: This was in the fall of the year. So the water was very low. I lost interest in fishing but wanted to continue the ride. It seemed to me that the uphill grind I was on would never level out. So, I turned off into a long, steep, downhill driveway covered in new/deep gravel. I soon found that the gravel was holding me back and I was in danger of going over the handle bars and down the driveway. :eek: so I tried to make a slow turn. Both the front/back wheel burried in the gravel and once again I was going to be airborne if I didn't do something fast. I turned back down the drive and finally made it down the bottom without incident. Had to hike the bike out and go change my underwear. Haven't been back there since. :grin:

cyama
08-21-2011, 10:27 PM
That area is great!! We spent a short week up in that area around 2006. We opted for motorcycles though. One day we rode way up the third divide to around deer lake. Close to the headwaters of Pauley and along Butcher Ranch Creek. The area is for serious riders!! There are some cliffs along the single track:eek: Fishing is fun on Lavezzola with dries..

Was up there mountain biking before they had shuttles. We would start at Plum Tree Campground and ride the loop. Youngsters these days have 50 pound 10 inch travel bikes that can't be pedaled uphill...

Black Cloud
08-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Downie, Lavazolla and Pauley all have nice water right now, they will be prime for the fall.The bike trails are crazy, they've seen a few broken bones.

aaron
08-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Those creeks paddle super fun in the spring as well.

neil
08-23-2011, 08:32 AM
A group of friends and I rent a house on the N. Yuba every October for a few days of shuttled runs up and down the hill. All the trails are great (2nd Divide, wOOt!), but the Pauley Creek trail between the ridge and the bottom of 3rd Divide is my favorite by a longshot. Sweet, sweet singletrack.

I've never brought a rod on the trip, but that will change this year, having been bitten by the fly-fishing bug. I'll be flinging flies into the N. Yuba for sure.