PDA

View Full Version : No Forks on the Yuba?

Chet Troutpuncher
08-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Awhile ago a friend whose dad is a hydrologist for the USGS was trying to explain to me that the Yuba doesn't have any forks and that the correct place names are North Yuba, Middle Yuba and South Yuba. I didn't quite follow her explanation and had forgotten about it until I was driving up 80 the other day. As I crossed one of the bridges it was labeled "South Yuba River".
Can anyone lend any insight on this question?

Bill Carnazzo
08-21-2011, 09:13 AM
I've fished the upper Yuba forks all of my life. There is a North Fork, a Middle Fork, and a South Fork. If you went to Downieville and told the locals there that there is no North Fork Yuba River, you'd best get your hat and coat and get a block ahead. It may be that there is some technicality that the person has in mind, but if you look at all of the maps of the Yuba basin drainage area, you will see all of the forks named. We anglers know a duck when we see it.

SHigSpeed
08-21-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't think the OP was disputing that there was a physical river. Just the name. Is it the North Yuba River? Or the North Fork Yuba River?

On my topo it does say North Yuba. No "Fork".

I always get a kick out of seeing the sign for the North Fork of the Middle Fork American River!

_SHig

Mike O
08-21-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't think the OP was disputing that there was a physical river. Just the name. Is it the North Yuba River? Or the North Fork Yuba River?

On my topo it does say North Yuba. No "Fork".

I always get a kick out of seeing the sign for the North Fork of the Middle Fork American River!

_SHig

I like the north fork of the north fork American river...also like the silver fork of the American river

SHigSpeed
08-22-2011, 06:30 AM
I like the north fork of the north fork American river...also like the silver fork of the American river

<lol>. I just pulled out the topo again and there's an East Fork of the North Fork of the North Fork of the American River!

_SHig

DFrink
08-22-2011, 07:00 AM
That's supposed to be a secret!:D

<lol>. I just pulled out the topo again and there's an East Fork of the North Fork of the North Fork of the American River!

_SHig

Chet Troutpuncher
08-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Yes, you got where I was coming from SHig_Speed.
I'm not doubting the rivers are there but when you look at DeLorme's Northern CA Atlas & Gazetteer or Nat Geo Topo! the rivers are listed as "North Yuba", "Middle Yuba" and "South Yuba".
Not a big deal, I'm just curious why there are no forks...

Ralph
08-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Prior to 1840, each branch of the Yuba had a different name and all were considered forks of the Feather. Goodyear's Bar below Downieville was called "The Forks" and the river was divided into 3 branches there. It wasn't until 1840 Sutter named the town of Yuba City after the Jubu clan of Nisenan who lived there. He also officially declared that the Yuba was it's own river, but didn't navigate upstream. Vallejo published one of the first maps of the watershed and gave each branch their own river status. His naming stuck and is frequently cited as an example of a cartographic screw up. You friend's dad obviously took a GIS class. Apparently Vallejo was known for his sloppiness. He wrote that the Yuba was named after the Spanish word for grapes - Sutter had to refute the statement in an article in the Democrat.

Lisa and I uncovered lots of useless trivia while researching historic salmon migration distances for FERC relicensing of Yuba dams.

SHigSpeed
08-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Prior to 1840, each branch of the Yuba had a different name and all were considered forks of the Feather. Goodyear's Bar below Downieville was called "The Forks" and the river was divided into 3 branches there. It wasn't until 1840 Sutter named the town of Yuba City after the Jubu clan of Nisenan who lived there. He also officially declared that the Yuba was it's own river, but didn't navigate upstream. Vallejo published one of the first maps of the watershed and gave each branch their own river status. His naming stuck and is frequently cited as an example of a cartographic screw up. You friend's dad obviously took a GIS class. Apparently Vallejo was known for his sloppiness. He wrote that the Yuba was named after the Spanish word for grapes - Sutter had to refute the statement in an article in the Democrat.

Lisa and I uncovered lots of useless trivia while researching historic salmon migration distances for FERC relicensing of Yuba dams.

Winner! Awesome, I got a history lesson today. I should just go home from work as I've met my quota. ;)

Thanks Ralph!

_SHig

Chet Troutpuncher
08-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks a bunch, Ralph.
Already well established but I'll say it anyway: "You're the man."

Jimmie
08-23-2011, 02:05 PM
There is NO East Fork of the North Fork of the North Fork! And if there was it could NOT be accessed in any way. It can't be a "secret" cuz it has to exist to be a secret.... I have no idea what you are talking about.... (tongue deeply in cheek...I know nothing!!) Take all I have said as gospel and don't even think about fishing in such a non existent place....

SHigSpeed
08-23-2011, 05:52 PM
There is NO East Fork of the North Fork of the North Fork! And if there was it could NOT be accessed in any way. It can't be a "secret" cuz it has to exist to be a secret.... I have no idea what you are talking about.... (tongue deeply in cheek...I know nothing!!) Take all I have said as gospel and don't even think about fishing in such a non existent place....

Heh... Must be chemo-brain! :)

_SHig

Frank Alessio
08-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Vallejo's sloppiness probably accounts for his horse getting loose and swimming to "Mare Island"...Which was named for where the Horse ended up... Thank You Ralph