PDA

View Full Version : Rafted South fork of American Chili Bar to Coloma

johnhogg
08-20-2011, 09:38 PM
A few days ago I rafted this stretch with my son Robby who is a professional whitewater raft guide and a licensed and insured fishing guide. He works out of Cal River Adventures, (calriver.com).
We used a 16 foot self bailing raft with oarframe, and a nice casting platform designed for standup casting in the bow. A 5 gallon bucket serves as a stripping basket - very necessary in a raft with all of its straps, and hooks and other potential entanglements.
We dressed expecting to get wet - which we did - as the stretch includes several attention getting Class III rapids, including the famous "Troublemaker", and a lot of Class II's as well.
All of the gear was kept in a big storage box that the rower sat on, and so our stuff stayed dry and safe.
This particular day we focused on streamer fishing, and a 300 grain 24 foot sink tip fit the bill just right, getting fly down quickly, and once it had swung into the pool or run that was our target, you just stripped like mad as fast as possible.
We caught both rainbows and browns. The takes were very hard, and we quickly learned that the fish would follow the fly right up to the surface, and if you pulled your fly out prematurely, you would miss a strike.
Attached are pix of a couple of nice brownies that we landed.
All in all a fabulous day, not only for the great fishing, but also the excitment of a white water rafting trip, and a scenic stretch of the river that is absolutely breathtaking.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-20-2011, 10:29 PM
That is pretty cool.....

I don't think enough of us fish deep with streamers on the larger trout streams.

ryanerb
08-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Wow, I'm jealous. So many people just raft that river, but never fish it. I do think it might be tough to fish without proper whitewater experience like you had with you. That is awesome! What an experience. It's on my to do list someday! Thanks for sharing!

Sammy
08-31-2011, 12:38 PM
It looks like that fish in the second picture is planking.

aaron
08-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Robby is super fun to fish with, great on the sticks, and knows where the fish are. It's pretty amazing we have this fishery 3o milesfrom Sac that nobody takes advantage of.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/astiny4/brownie.jpg

Frank Alessio
08-31-2011, 02:10 PM
That is a spectacular fish....No pun intended....

k.hanley
08-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Say hey John,
It's great to see you and Robby hitting the river as a team. Please pass along a big howdy to him from me. I had a feeling his whitewater skills would find a solid homebase.
Cheers, Ken

steelheadsicko
09-01-2011, 10:15 AM
I have always wanted to do this. I have a two man pontoon, in your opinion would this be able to handle this float. I have been waiting for my skills to reach the level which I can handle this kind of water and after many trips on the truckee, trinity, and american I think I am ready. Would you be willing to share your put in and pull out spots?
Thanks
Garrett

steelheadsicko
09-01-2011, 10:21 AM
just got done watching some rafting on troublemaker and looks rough but doable. What where the flows at when you did it?

aaron
09-01-2011, 10:22 AM
If in doubt, don't. Hire a guide to get a feel for the lines and really give you an idea if you can handle it. A fishing day is much different than a whitewater day as you may be on the water when it's both high and low. Troublemake is mellower at low water but meatgrinder is more sketch at the samee time.