PDA

View Full Version : NF Feather = Enigma

Pupa
08-20-2011, 01:43 AM
I have fished the MF Feather several times in the canyon stretch and, on my drive back to the bay area, have always been intrigued by the long riffles and big boulders of the NF Feather. I felt like I had done ample research on the area (Harris' book on Plumas. NW Flyfisherman, Kiene's forum archives, fly shop advice, etc.), and was ready to tie into some of the big browns which seem to inhabit these waters, at least on paper. So, with my wife and little girl away in Europe, I felt I finally had my chance.

I targeted the upper reaches below Lake Almanor my first day. Alone in a VW golf, I descended the long gravel road into the NF Canyon to the Seneca Bridge. Stopped by a game warden along the way (strange, the first warden in 10 years in a completely remote dirt road), I was warned of the prolific rattlers and gun-toting miners. Nonetheless, I continued my journey to the bridge only to find a small stream, choked by poison oak, with very difficult access. I did not feel altogether comfortable being alone in such conditions bushwacking solo. I noticed a cross mounted in the middle of the creek below the bridge. This sealed my fate and I high-tailed it out of the deep canyon.

As it was getting late, I decided, instead of heading down to Belden, to hit the river just below Almanor where there must be some pond smelt and lunker browns. I was amazed at how low the water was and full of algae. I tried a dry dropper combo in the slicks and just below the tailwater with not a single hit. I tried downstream again with no success. I pulled some rocks and did not see a single insect. No rises. Nothing.

As time was running thin, I decided to drive up to the Upper NF Feather above Chester. I could not find a place that looked fishy. As I was driving up river, I perused FlyFishing Nor Cal, book which mentioned a volcanic feeder stream with sizable trout. Perfect! I drove onwards for another hour on a wagon wheel dirt road until my car was about to vibrate into oblivion. Alone in the middle of nowhere (and after passing a stink-eye harley rider), I decided to turn back and try closer to Chester. I finally found a spot which read 'no trespassing' and was infested with mosquitoes. Had to leave. No repellent. With about a half hour of visible light left, I figured my best best bet was to try the "pasture stretch" of Chester which I assumed would be near the inlet into Almanor. I was wrong. 20 min of trespassing and mosquito attack led me to a swampy marsh thicket with no access. As my luck would have it, the elusive hex hatch was ON that nigh on lake Almanor, but was just finishing as I walked out on the dock to check things out on my way back to the motel.

Next day I drove to Belden. Discouraged from my fruitless ventures upriver, I had grand visions for the lower sections. The water up from Belden was nice, but small and full of planters and campgrounds. I drove 1/4 of the way to Caribou but turned around in search of bigger waters. I tried the immaculate long riffles below Yellow Creek inlet but was rewarded with a smelly squawfish. Perfect water, seemingly perfect conditions, but no insect life. I turned over some rocks which revealed absolutely no insects. I tried a bit further out and found only a few green caddis (maybe I wasn't far enough out, due to the flow fluctuations?). Assuming there MUST be a blizzard evening caddis hatch on this riffle in the evening, I decided to explore the lower Yellow Creek canyon for a few hours and then return. I fished at half-mast for an hour with no luck and hiked up the trail. Beautiful, McCloud-like inaccessible gorge with turquoise water and granite cliffs. Has anyone ever ventured into this area with success?

I returned to the immaculate riffle at 7pm. No rises, no insects, no hits.

Desperate, I drove down to the Tobin bridge area. Beautiful swirling foamy water and herculean boulders - witching hour. I was excited. No bugs, no rises, no hits, no trout to be seen. I did catch a pair of squaw chubs. I was literally swarmed with a blizzard of bats which drove me off the river. I had to drive back to SF, dejected, with the smell of squaw on my hands.

Could someone please confirm that there are indeed both fish and insects on this river? I was disappointed with my choice of the NF Feather, especially after passing-up such choice rives as the MF Feather, NF Yuba, and Big and Little T. Despite this, I'm sure I will be back sometime in the future. Will post images tomorrow.

BT

Tony Buzolich
08-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Pupa,

Sounds like you really gave it the ol' college try without success. My guess would be flucuateing water flows and warmer temps may have had an affect on the streambed by createing the algae you mentioned. Some of the upper Yuba is like this as well and although it really looks nice there isn't much there.

I like your detailed story though. Well written, TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-20-2011, 08:12 AM
I have this book at home and it has lots of great information from Andrew Harris who is one of the top fly fishing guides in Nor Cal.

Plumas National Forest Trout Fishing Guide (Paperback)

by Andrew G Harris (Author), Andrew G Harris (Photographer)

~$15.00

It has great detail on fishing the forks of the Feather River.

Also, our friend Lincoln Gray who guides in Nor Cal and works at 'Sierra Stream & Mountain fly shop' in Chico, CA could probably help you with info on the Feather River.

Pupa
08-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the responses and advice Bill and Tony. I have the Harris book which was invaluable for the MF Feather but completely forgot to reference it for the NF.

I really worked the water hard deep nymphing and hopper dropper. Has anyone had success between Yellow Creek inflow and the next impoundment? There must be some killer hatches there at some point - or maybe it's just unproductive water disguised as productive water? Also perplexed by the lack of reference of lower yellow creek canyon. Maybe it's just too inaccessible? Has anyone done well there?

In any event, figuring out the right seasons, hatches, and stretches on the NF is like trying to figure out an Italian train schedule.

amoeba
08-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Pue:

The Harris book is pretty basic.....but it is just a start......there's much else that isn't written down or talked about much, so here's some, there's more on earlier posts about the NF on this forum:

-the bugs don't come off every day or necessarily every week;
-there are lots and lots of bugs, and yes they are green and other colors of caddis, as well as mays and stones, just not under the rocks or locations you looked, you need to know where to look; and sometimes you can't look there because of the water conditions (flow/depth) where the bugs likely are;
-in the absence of hatches, you need to fish deep; probably alot deeper than you were;
-the mining and miners have been cut down alot - since it is largely illegal for now;
- I can think of better (and closer) places to fish than Yellow Creek (fish wise, I know it looks good), or for that matter Seneca, Belden, and/or above Chester; but they all do have fish;
- I can confirm there are good numbers of trout, and some large ones, on the NF, and some are caught by some people sometimes;
- I can also confirm that there are always far fewer people fishing the NF compare to those other choices you mentioned; for the reasons you mentioned and some others (difficulty wading, big river with lots of reaches and not cake to figure out; biting insects; hot as a pizza furnace; people get easily frustrated)

Terry Imai
08-20-2011, 09:01 PM
I have pictures of my Father proudly holding up stringers of rainbows and browns from the Feather River. He said that they were the hardest fighting trout in California but that fishery was decimated by PG&E (due to all of the dams) and introduction of the spinning reel after World War II (yanking the big ones out of the deep pools). The problem with trying to catch trophy fish is when certain people like to deep fried trout 12" doesn't allow them to grow to an ample size. The other problem is the inconsistent flows out of the Feather which can kill an entire generation of fish. If you really want to fish the Feather, you may want to refocus to become a stillwater fisherman since many of the lakes on that fishery are very productive due to the healthy bug life and pick specific times of the year to fish the moving water. Many of the trout move out of the lakes into the river system during the fall and spring. This would be significantly more productive than trying to fish them in the middle of the summer.

Pupa
08-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Good to know for next time (if it is meant to be). Here are some photos of water conditions. Interesting how amazing the water looks from the photos. Maybe I will go back someday...

Pupa
08-20-2011, 10:50 PM
a few more photos of NF Feather

Notch
08-21-2011, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't write the NF off just yet - I think you hit it at a slow time of the year. The water can get warm and turn the fishing off mid-day, but morning and evening can produce some numbers. During the summer I like to hike into the tribs mid-day for fast action fishing on small wild trout. This time of year I would focus on nymphing the whitewater pockets and seams with lots of weight - I usually stick with a #14-16 caddis pupa and pt or micro may. There are trout in the river from Lake Oroville to Almanor, and once you learn a few beats you can have some good days. By the looks of some of those pictures, you were fishing the right water.

Rich Morrison
08-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Possible start to a shopping list for your next trip:

1. Some beadhead Olive buggers to swing - strip 'em up stream - the big Browns love that
2. Mosquito repellent
3. A sidearm to steady the nerves

Just a thought...

Hogan Brown
08-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Notch is right...slow time of year up there but DON'T give up. I float and fish the NF all summer as well as fishing Yellow Creek (on the Yellow Creek trail if you kept going the trail drops back down along the creek and you can access all the water you saw from the trail then some). hatches get sparse this time of year but very soon the Isonychia hatch will start and that thing can be GOOD. There are tons of fish in that river along with tons of food just have to know the beats. I have had some of the best days in my life trout fishing up there. Nymphing deep with lots of weight is key this time of year.

Pupa
08-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Great to hear tips from the experts. Thanks.

I'll bet there are some spotted footballs in those YC plunge pools...

Terry Imai
08-21-2011, 06:26 PM
A great vest or bag fisherman tool is a thermometer which will tell you almost everything you need to locate trout (or where they are not located). I've caught trout when the temps were in the low 50s but fishing in waters anything above 65 degrees is a total waste of time. You mentioned the shore algae that indicates the stream has been going through a heat spell on the water. Try to find water conditions around 58-62 degrees for active fish. Water temps too low means the fish stay deep and sulk while higher surface water temperature push the fish to deep shady holes especially if they're cold springs feeding them.

When the temps get just right and the bug hatches start, the fish will move into those zones to start eating. Best analogy is having your house where one room is a cold storage box; another is 110 sweat rooms; and the other room is 76 degree. Which one would you hang out in??

Pupa
08-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Great analogy. Interesting to note that while fishing at the Yellow Creek (cold water) inlet I kept feeling warm/hot swirls of water against my waders (yes, OUTSIDE my waders). I suppose there area also some hot springs around as well.

Good advice on thermometer. I used to be much more diligent about seining insects and measuring water temps but have gotten more complacent and rely heavily on instinct and intuition. The water in the NF felt relatively cool, but apparently not cool enough.

I was bouncing the bottom in a nice frothy seam with stonefly/caddis larva dropper and got a few tugs, but assumed they must be squawfish.

wineslob
08-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Don't give up on the NF. You were in the Tobin area, it's very, very good.
I've always had luck with Golden/Black stones, Fledermaus,(10-12's they like em big) ect. about 3-4 ft below a strike indicator.
The fish are DEEP in this river, I've had many, many fish that came off what seemed to be the bottom in quite deep runs.

Also, when the temps go up, the fish will hang right up against white water areas. They love the highly aerated water.