PDA

View Full Version : Fly confusion!

avidrise
08-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Hello out there, this is my first post and will probably sound quite dumb but I would rather ask than not. I just started to fly fish and am blessed to have a wonderful friend thats helping me along. We have gone twice now, long story short I am a little confused on how to pick what fly. Nymph and what nymph, Dry fly and what Dry fly, Atractor and what Atractor. Is an atractor imitating a fly or soley just a pattern that presents a color pattern that will entice a fish to bite. Any advice on the Fly part of fishing would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

frequent_flyer
08-19-2011, 10:21 PM
As a 3 year beginner, I know it can be difficult to choose the right fly. A simulator can be both a imitation and a attractor pattern. Depending on the size you could use it as a stonefly or caddis imitation. As far as having a go to nymph, a size 14 pheasant tail, copper john, or hairs ear are good.

avidrise
08-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Thank you for taking the time to give me an answer. Thanks!

oldtrout
08-21-2011, 09:14 PM
(1) Seine (take a bug sampling from the water you are fishing)

(2) Identify (from the sample, identify the most abundant and most active bugs)

(3) Match sample (self-explanatory)

Darian
08-21-2011, 10:11 PM
This is a subject not easily addressed on a Bulletin Board. What you're going to get is what you've received so far. Fly selection may be based on what the other two responders have posted. However, fly selection is the subject of many magazine articles, books and conversations. All good. In order to shorten the learning curve, you should spend a day with a guide. If that's not doable, join a local fly fishing club. The membership of these clubs are uniformly helpful and friendly. Finally, If you have a fly fishing friend, you may be able to tap that persons knowledge/experience....

Have fun. The journey is rewarding.... :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-22-2011, 08:31 AM
This is a great question that could have a very long answer and many answers.

The most popular size dry fly and nymph is a #14.

Most use 5x tippet on a 14 dry and 4x tippet on a 14 nymph.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Let's talk fishing on a medium size mid-elevation freestone trout stream in summer:

After fishing many year and talking with many top fly fishers and guides, many feel there is a 2 to 4 week period on most streams when they come down from the winter runoff (and warm up) to the summer flow. When the river gets up to around 55 degrees it will start to fish really well for 2 to 4 weeks.Trout generally feed more aggressively from 55 to 75 degrees.

There is another good period in the fall that is around October when most rrout fisheries are good again.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

You can try a #14 Stimulator or Elk hair Caddis on 5x tippet first.

Then it will get to the low summer flow where it gets more difficult because the water is low and clear and all the bigger insects have hatched. This is when you fish more early and late in the day with small size 16 flies and maybe 6x tippet.

In mid-summer the trout will concentrate in the most highly oxygenated riffles so most will deep nymph them in the day time with 2 different smaller nymphs.

In mid-summer dry fly fishing is compressed more to early and late.

Also in mid-summer people use more terrestrials like ants and hoppers in the afternoons.

When there are no hatches some no use streamers too.

Right now I would concentrate on the AM and PM in the hot weather with smaller dies.

Also on a normal year at mid-elevation, June and October are the best months for trout in streams.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Most fish lower elevations in the winter, Nov - April.

They fish mid-elevation around June and around October.

They fish higher elevation on the mid-summer, July/Aug/Sept.

__________________________________________________ _________________

We all have some general rules we go by but the fish don't always go by the rules.

I think there are lots of books and DVDs on fly fishing that you can get lots of general ideas about fly fishing.

avidrise
08-22-2011, 01:35 PM
I would like to thank the people who took time out of the hectic lives to write a response to my questions. I have been a hunter most of my life and fished from time to time, but have never experienced the thrill that has come with fly fishing. However it has been so long since I was the one who didn't have the know how and skill in the sport or hobby I am doing. There are so many things to learn and that excites me. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought i would spend endless hours in my back yard casting a fly rod for practice. It goes to show how addicting this sport can be. I appreciate the knowledge that you have all shared with me. Thank you for what I'm sure are many more questions to come.

Terry Imai
09-27-2011, 04:10 PM
I was told that they are three ways that a person can learn something:

1. Read about it;

2. Observation; and

3. The rest of the people need to pee on an electric fence to see if the fence is "hot"...

A fine book that introduced many a fly fisherman is "The Curtis Creek Mainfesto". That book is a counter-culture view of fly fishing and can help the newbie "connect the dots". Bill usually has a few copies in his shop. It's well worth to add as your first (and will not be your last) book on a very interesting and life long topic.

Good luck...

jbird
09-27-2011, 08:36 PM
In most western rivers there are a few staples you could use almost year round. Regarding nymphs I would carry the following in sizes 12, 14 and 16

-emerging caddis
-prince nymph
-gold ribbed haresear
-pheasant tail
-copper john

I would feel absolutely confident going to any western stream with only these flies.

The bigger issue is your ability to read water. second, if you can read the water, can you deliver the fly to the "pocket"? It doesnt matter that you know where the fish are holding if you arent able to "feed" them.

Dry flies are much more observation specific. It can be important to match the size and color of whats hatching. There is lots of info out there on western hatches with seasonal charts to get you started. typically elk hair caddis and adams will cover a variety of hatches. If you dont have the perfect match to the hatch, focus on fish rising in faster, broken water as these fish may be less persnickety to size and color.

as someone mentioned before, get out with someone with knowledge. If thats not possible, go to the stream and find someone whos doing it right. Most guys are pretty willing to share knowledge with humble beginners with open minds.

Good luck!