PDA

View Full Version : WTB Lamson LP 1.5 w/ adjustable drag

luckydude
08-19-2011, 06:12 PM
I've finally learned enough about these reals to understand (I think) the various models.

The "Light" models are click & pawl drag only, so they click on retrieve (as well as when stripping). I've now got one of those and while it's good, I like the ones with the adjustable drag more.

There were two variations of the adjustable drag models, the earlier one (I think) is the one where the reel body is solid; then later they made a lighter version that was drilled out like this:

http://www.wwdoak.com/FlyReels/lamson_lp.jpg

I'm looking for the LP 1.5 like what is in that picture, at least one and I'll buy two if I can get them. I like those reels. Interested in spare spools as well.

I have an Orvis Battenkill II (III?) large arbor I could offer in trade if that's of any interest but I'm happy to just pay cash.

Thanks much!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-19-2011, 06:38 PM
I have sold or been involved with most fly reels that were made and sold for the past 50 years or more.

Lamson Reel Company made some good reels in it's day.

Lamson was next owned by Sage Rod Company for a short time.

I think it went back to the original owers for a second run.

Then it was purchased by Waterworks.

Waterworks no longer has warranty repair, service, spools or parts for these old LP reels.

Archuletas Reel Repair might have some parts and might work on these reels.

Now for the catch....there is a small round easily removeable disc in the center of the reel that is the directional mechanism for the drag. If that part fails, you are probably out of luck, because it is a special mechanism with lots of little parts in it.

Like the old SA System II disc drag reels, they were good in their day but they both have exposed disc drags which are prone to failure because of contamination and having an eratic or pulsing drag.

I am sure there are people here that have old SA System II reels and old Lamson LP reels that love them and had great luck with them but overall they are pone to failures of the drag system.

You would not see this unlesss you worked in a fly shop or a fly reel repair shop or if you guided in the saltwater or guded in Alaska.

luckydude
08-19-2011, 07:31 PM
So if you like those little Lamsons and don't want the big size of a large arbor, where would you send me?

I'm aware of the problems but they are rare in a well maintained reel, I was just going to buy some extras as a backup.

I'm perfectly willing to move forward to a better reel, but for me, better is not those large arbor beasts. I get that they reel in faster and they are better for big fish. I own an Orvis Battenkill (hate it) and a very recent Lamson Lightspeed (I like that better, might keep it).

What I like about the Lamson reels is that they are small and so they hug the rod, casting with them feels like they are not there (at least the LP 1's, the LP 1.5 is close). With the large arbor reels I feel more effort is needed to cast.

I rarely hit trout over 16". Really rarely. So I fish with loops of line in my hand, I'm not worried about all that line getting tangled. I don't care about reel in speed, I _really_ don't care about drag (other than having enough that it doesn't rats nest when you are stripping out line), I just care about small and light.

So what reel? Pick me one out and if it looks good I'll buy it from you, I'd love to support your shop.

--lm

RSK
08-19-2011, 08:10 PM
I have heard the the stories of the lamsons failing but I have had my lp 1.5 for about 15 years now and it is still singing. I bought a couple extra clutches because of the stories I heard but have never had to use them. I have landed some pretty good sized trout with it, by far the biggest being about 9 lbs. and I still love the reel. Archuletta has parts and can rebuild the clutches and you can usually find another one for fairly cheap on ebay if yours fails. I love the sound of the lamson lp's.

Bill has a great shop and some nice reels and I am sure you could come up with something but if you like the lp, stick with it. And buy some line and accessorys from Bill.

Russell

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-19-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't think you need a large arbor or mid-arbor reel till you get to a 6 weight and use it for fairly large fish.

What about the Orvis 'Battenkill Bar Stock'? It is a classic small arbor design.

There is nothing wrong with using the old LPs. I have some really old reels I use too so no big deal.

Most of the failures we saw in the 'SA System II' and 'Lamson LP' series were in the bigger 8 weight size and larger for Bonefish and larger saltwater gamefish.