PDA

View Full Version : Lake Tahoe

Frank Alessio
08-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Lake Tahoe now has Smallmouth Bass.....

bigfly
08-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Tis true...been there for a few years.
They are not a good thing for the lake. They hoover all the fry of other fish (Rainbow, brown, cuts, and lake trout.).
Somehow they just keep moving to lakes where they don't belong.
I think, when caught, bucket biologists should be summarily executed.
That might slow this phenomenon down......although I wouldn't want to overstate this. (Slowing down I mean.)

Jim

Frank Alessio
08-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Maybe the Ducks brought the eggs in on their feet...

aaron
08-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Maybe the Ducks brought the eggs in on their feet...

Well played :lol:

BillB
08-19-2011, 01:09 PM
The ducks should thoroughly scrub and rinse their feet with 409.

Scott V
08-19-2011, 02:13 PM
The ducks should thoroughly scrub and rinse their feet with 409.

Or put them in the freezer over night.

bigfly
08-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Perhaps, make them duckies pay a put-in fee at the ramp as well? Like other floaters.
Put a little "inspected" sticker on their tushies.
Use CA's unlimited budget to hire birders to check them all.......

Read the stat yesterday in the paper, that they've removed 5000 invasive fish species so far.
Apparently this is the biggest threat to Tahoe so far, as far as keeping native fish in there.

OceanSunfish
08-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Smallmouth, sunfish, other bass live in Tahoe because habitat exists for them..... AKA: Tahoe Keys! I have a feelig that the Smallmouth were found in the canals of Tahoe Keys.

I know people that own property in Tahoe Keys, nevertheless, that is one development that is way out of place and just doesn't fit in with the surroundings.....

I surmise that the deminished clarity of Tahoe may in part, be because of the loss of natural filtration that once was prior to the Key's development.

My $.02

bigfly
08-23-2011, 11:01 AM
The studies have shown the main problem with clarity, is run-off carrying gravel that cal-trans placed on roads, to help folks drive around in winter.
As a general contractor, I can say they increased requirements to stop sediment from being washed into the lake from construction too.
The finest sediment doesn't sink, just floats around suspended, and reflects light.
The keys would filter stuff from upstream, but won't help what's in the lake already.
Most of south lake seems overdone, for a national treasure.
Just try to get down to the water, without paying, or trespassing.
Got to go out on the UC Davis research vessel, last year.
Was an eye opener...
Sounds like, when the quake fault near Tahoe city goes, the resulting tsunami will take care of shore rezoning in S.lake...
Imagine a wave in a bowl. Back & forth......
They've found evidence of this on the E. shore of the lake, 300 ft up the hill, straight across from sugar pine point.
In a map of the lake, you can see the western shelf of the fault has slid to the middle of the lake bottom.
I'm just fishing and waiting for what's next......

Jim

Morgan
11-23-2011, 12:20 PM
There is also crappie, bluegill, sunfish, lmb and goldfish in the keys. I have heard of the smallies but have yet to catch one. The goldfish are sad..but its quite comical to see a school of large goldfish swimming around. The keys is like a whole different lake as far as temps and structure compared the actual lake. Kind of sad to see what has been done to enhance living. Just like all the other dams we have around the world to provide us w/ man made lakes. They are a double-edged sword.