PDA

View Full Version : Floating line for switch rod?

joh
08-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Hi alll, new here. Been lurking on and off for some time though.

I recently got myself a 5wt switch rod, and I've paired it up with a WF 7wt floating line I had lying around. The combos been fine for now -- high-sticking nymphs through pocket water, indicator nymphing, streamer fishing -- all techniques where line doesn't really matter much. However, with regards to distance casting (both roll casting and distance casting), the combo feels somewhat limiting.

I see that RIO makes a Switch line. I've also read suggestions of using a steelhead taper. Will these lines help in the distance casting department? Or will I be fine sticking to my WF7 floating line? Are there any other all-around lines I should consider?

I haven't done any spey casting with this rod. Been using it mostly just like a traditional rod, though I've used the second handle to help me power through some roll casts with heavy gear and such.

Any line suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

burl51
08-18-2011, 07:18 PM
What make is it, length, you could contact Kiene's they have the people to set yo up.
The right line makes it much easier.

burl

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-18-2011, 11:58 PM
On most 5 weight Switch rods we would use a Rio WF7F Steeelhead line or a Rio Switch line WF5F for single hand casting.

For two-hand / Spey casting we would use short Scandi or short Skagit head with some appropriate tips.

joh
08-19-2011, 12:12 PM
On most 5 weight Switch rods we would use a Rio WF7F Steeelhead line or a Rio Switch line WF5F for single hand casting.

Thanks for the response. I hadn't realized that the Rio Switch line is actually heavier than a steelhead line for a given weight. I'll be in the Sac area for a couple days next month, and will try to make a point of going by the shop.