PDA

View Full Version : Any Indian Creek res reports

Scott V
08-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Anyone been to Indian Creek Reservoir lately? I'll be up there shortly and was wondering how the lake is fishing.

terdog
08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Catch and Release right???

The big dumb blondes or the bigumb trout?

Fly Guy Dave
08-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Hi Scott-

I was up there a few weeks ago and it was pretty consistent for planter rainbows, amongst the weed patches on the west end of the lake, with damsel patterns. Early mornings were better than the evening.

--Fly Guy Dave

Scott V
08-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Hi Scott-

I was up there a few weeks ago and it was pretty consistent for planter rainbows, amongst the weed patches on the west end of the lake, with damsel patterns. Early mornings were better than the evening.

--Fly Guy Dave

Thanks Dave, I plan to camp out there the night before so I will be on the lake at first light.

EricO
08-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Hey Scott,

I have to say that Indian Creek Reservoir's camping accommodations are some of the best I have experienced. Nice sandy tent pads, grill, table, bear proof containers...I was very impressed.

Have fun!

Eric

Scott V
08-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Hey Scott,

I have to say that Indian Creek Reservoir's camping accommodations are some of the best I have experienced. Nice sandy tent pads, grill, table, bear proof containers...I was very impressed.

Have fun!

Eric

Last time I stayed there was in my RV and we liked it alot so I look forward to the tent areas. But I am still thinking I want to take up my rv.

Reno Flytyer
08-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Hey Scott...after reading your post earlier today, I called my good bud in Minden (he fishes ICR) frequently. He hadn't been there in two weeks (his report matched that above), but was heading to the fly shop in town...they said it hasn't been doing well at all. Getting warm, the weeds are flourishing, & the bite has been off. Not great news buddy. The shop suggested Blue, Caples or Red might be better choices. Good luck!
RFT

ted1
08-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Red is actually a light green as of last weekend. Major algae bloom? The surface temp at Silver lake was 65, it was slow.

Scott V
08-19-2011, 09:22 PM
I got faith! I'll post a report when I go.

EricO
08-20-2011, 02:08 AM
An RV? That's cheatin'.

I've heard there are big'uns in there. Looking forward to some pics.

EO

EricO
08-20-2011, 02:11 AM
Oh, and if the fishing isn't great at ICR, you're just a stone's throw from the E. Carson.

I'm just sayin.........

EO

Fly Guy Dave
08-21-2011, 08:03 PM
I just got back from the area a few hours ago (although I didn't fish ICR) and there was NO ONE out on the lake, not even boats, so I wonder how good it is. There was also a fire that obviously raged through the ICR/airport area not too long ago. What the heck happened? Anyone have any news? I forgot to ask when I drove into Markleeville for fuel and food. And yes, Red Lake is the color of pea soup.

One more thing: if any of you are heading up along 88, I would advise against it, as the highway is closed just past Carson Summit M-F 10:00 to 3:00, with delays of up to TWO HOURS!!! Unbelievable! :eek: I heard NOTHING of this and I was fortunate to only have to wait 15 minutes or so since I was there after three PM. Take 50 to 89 to 88 instead.

--F.G. Dave

DennisV
08-21-2011, 10:09 PM
ICR was 71 degrees at the dam and 74 at the south end 3 weeks ago.

Picked a few fish off the bottom in 15' bobbering zebras, but I think it's not worth the drive until things cool off.

I did well up there around July 4th

About the highway,

They are blasting rock right at the summit of Carson Pass.

Once they start loading the holes, they can't let any traffic through until the shot is done and the "all clear" is signalled. There's your 2 hours.

JAWallace
08-21-2011, 10:30 PM
My largest trout in public waters in California was from Indian Creek. 30" 10lb. 6 oz. That was probably 10 years ago when several agencies were planting it with some huge broods. A typical day for four of us would be at least 5 fish each over 20" and another 8-10 12" - 18". We stopped fishing it regularly when the Brookies were introduced and the big fish seemed to be scarce. Glad to hear it's still viable; DFG plants are better than nothing. Fall is usually much better--October and November around midday.