PDA

View Full Version : Fish Cat 4

DFrink
08-16-2011, 03:25 PM
For you owners, I hear good things about these tubes. Do any of you pack them with the straps? How about stuffing them into a pack, does it work with the foam seat? I am considering upgrading my tube and thinking this is the one I want since it rides so nice and high, plus I like boston valves compared to the cheaper ones on the tube I have. Any thoughts or comments?

Dan

BillB
08-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Hey Colfax. I have not packed the tube or used double straps, but I have run a single strip from the bottom to the top rings and simply looped it over my shoulder. I didn't have more than a half mile so it wasn't bad at all. You might think either about going with the Deluxe that has inflatable seat and back. I had already ordered my 4 when it was recommended by ScottV and SigH to go with the deluxe or purchase the seat separately at about $100. I love my FishCat 4 but the inflatable seat is really worth considering.

KJE
08-16-2011, 04:16 PM
I have a FishCat4 that I pack by attaching it to my backpack's shoulder straps, which have daisy chain loops on them. I use small, cheap carabiners with a three inch strap in between, basically a miniature climbing quickdraw, with one end attached to the loops on the bottom of the tube and the other on my pack. One quickdraw per shoulder.

This link is to a real climbing quickdraw, but for my purposes the keychain carabiners work fine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2quickdraws.saa.jpeg

I use another 'biner to strap the fins to the tube, leaving my hands free to carry rods and a refreshing adult beverage.

It works pretty well, but I have not hiked more than a mile or so with this rig.

DFrink
08-16-2011, 04:22 PM
That sounds like it would work, for short hikes. I usually strap my current tube (Kennebec) fully inflated to a bare pack frame, works pretty good for short flat hikes. If I am doing any "offroad" hiking I deflate and put it in a pack (more stable walking over rough terrain). Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Dan

I have a FishCat4 that I pack by attaching it to my backpack's shoulder straps, which have daisy chain loops on them. I use small, cheap carabiners with a three inch strap in between, basically a miniature climbing quickdraw, with one end attached to the loops on the bottom of the tube and the other on my pack. One quickdraw per shoulder.

This link is to a real climbing quickdraw, but for my purposes the keychain carabiners work fine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2quickdraws.saa.jpeg

I use another 'biner to strap the fins to the tube, leaving my hands free to carry rods and a refreshing adult beverage.

It works pretty well, but I have not hiked more than a mile or so with this rig.

SHigSpeed
08-16-2011, 10:46 PM
That sounds like it would work, for short hikes. I usually strap my current tube (Kennebec) fully inflated to a bare pack frame, works pretty good for short flat hikes. If I am doing any "offroad" hiking I deflate and put it in a pack (more stable walking over rough terrain). Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Dan

I use cheap backpack straps that I cut off of a worn out kid's pack with clips from the fabric store to "pack" my tube from the car to the lake. For sure get the inflatable seats though - well worth the up front $60 up charge.

Of course, the FC4 is not a really light tube. If packing ANY distance is what you plan to do, buy the Creek Co. ODC420 Lightweight. 8 lbs and packs smaller than the FC4 vs 14 lbs. A hundred bucks cheaper than the FC4 to boot. Creek sells inflatable seats for that one as well. If you're rich, you buy the Trinity for 6 lbs of tube, if you're lucky you find a Del Canty for a 3 lb tube, and if you're me, you build a 2 pounder!

_SHig

DFrink
08-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Well if all goes as planned I am getting the FC4 for $50, which is a steal! I probably will upgrade the seats to inflatable just to save space. On the weight issue, I pack my Kennebec (12 lbs), pump, waders, boots, lunch, nalgene bottle, water purifier, 2 reels, spare spool, fly boxes, various other small items, headlamp, and copenhagen (need that for fishing:)) and my entire pack only weighs around (guessing) 30 lbs. Anyone who has done even minimal back packing should be able to carry a 30 lb pack for 20 miles no problem. When I back pack I carry a pack the weighs around 50-60lbs and can comfortably cover 10 miles a day. I was mainly wondering how the pack straps work for short hikes, say around 3 miles or less? Then I wouldn't need to carry the pump and waste the time setting up and breaking down. Thoughts?

I use cheap backpack straps that I cut off of a worn out kid's pack with clips from the fabric store to "pack" my tube from the car to the lake. For sure get the inflatable seats though - well worth the up front $60 up charge.

Of course, the FC4 is not a really light tube. If packing ANY distance is what you plan to do, buy the Creek Co. ODC420 Lightweight. 8 lbs and packs smaller than the FC4 vs 14 lbs. A hundred bucks cheaper than the FC4 to boot. Creek sells inflatable seats for that one as well. If you're rich, you buy the Trinity for 6 lbs of tube, if you're lucky you find a Del Canty for a 3 lb tube, and if you're me, you build a 2 pounder!

_SHig

SHigSpeed
08-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Well if all goes as planned I am getting the FC4 for $50, which is a steal! I probably will upgrade the seats to inflatable just to save space. On the weight issue, I pack my Kennebec (12 lbs), pump, waders, boots, lunch, nalgene bottle, water purifier, 2 reels, spare spool, fly boxes, various other small items, headlamp, and copenhagen (need that for fishing:)) and my entire pack only weighs around (guessing) 30 lbs. Anyone who has done even minimal back packing should be able to carry a 30 lb pack for 20 miles no problem. When I back pack I carry a pack the weighs around 50-60lbs and can comfortably cover 10 miles a day. I was mainly wondering how the pack straps work for short hikes, say around 3 miles or less? Then I wouldn't need to carry the pump and waste the time setting up and breaking down. Thoughts?

$50 for a FC4 is a steal. Buy it! Can't go wrong. Is it an LCS version or an older one?

I'd hate to carry an inflated tube for more than a quarter mile! :) Just too bulky. If you can make a 12 pound tube and gear go day trip for 30 pounds, that ain't bad. Now walking 10 miles with 50-60 doesn't sound like a treat.

The pack straps WILL work if you get them padded enough. Maybe some military/tactical MOLLE style straps? No lumbar strap though - but maybe you won't need it. With the FC4, you can fold it in a way such that you strap the package together and the pack D-rings are still exposed so you COULD use it like that. Still, I'd rather use a proper frame with a good lumbar strap for the comfort at the cost of a pound or two and good back ventilation and no "bumpers" to worry about.

_SHig

p.s. Oh, by the way, the D-rings are sewn into the PVC coated pack cloth of the seatbottom so it's not technically fully reinforced into the bulk of the tube. I wouldn't recommend strapping a ton of stuff to the tube or packing the pockets full and tromping too far and risk tearing one of these out.

DFrink
08-17-2011, 09:06 AM
I worry about your last point, lot of weight on those seams. Just talked to the lady, she sold the FC4, but has a FC4 deluxe (inflatable seat) for $100. I'm looking at it this afternoon, since I was going to probably get the inflatable seat anyways I think this is still a steal.

$50 for a FC4 is a steal. Buy it! Can't go wrong. Is it an LCS version or an older one?

I'd hate to carry an inflated tube for more than a quarter mile! :) Just too bulky. If you can make a 12 pound tube and gear go day trip for 30 pounds, that ain't bad. Now walking 10 miles with 50-60 doesn't sound like a treat.

The pack straps WILL work if you get them padded enough. Maybe some military/tactical MOLLE style straps? No lumbar strap though - but maybe you won't need it. With the FC4, you can fold it in a way such that you strap the package together and the pack D-rings are still exposed so you COULD use it like that. Still, I'd rather use a proper frame with a good lumbar strap for the comfort at the cost of a pound or two and good back ventilation and no "bumpers" to worry about.

_SHig

p.s. Oh, by the way, the D-rings are sewn into the PVC coated pack cloth of the seatbottom so it's not technically fully reinforced into the bulk of the tube. I wouldn't recommend strapping a ton of stuff to the tube or packing the pockets full and tromping too far and risk tearing one of these out.

BillB
08-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Run, don't walk, to get that tube! If it is in any kind of decent condition it is a real steal! Good luck.

SHigSpeed
08-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Run, don't walk, to get that tube! If it is in any kind of decent condition it is a real steal! Good luck.

I agree. Also, if you do feel like shedding 8 lbs and a lot of bulk for longer hikes or overnighters, you could always buy the ODC420 Lightweight and the inflatable seats for the 'Cat fit right into the Creek boat.

Now GO!

BTW, if you're in the market for a rod rack for your FC4... ;)

_SHig

DFrink
08-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Actually I may be, what's the price for one of those fancy SHig rack's? I was thinking of building one, but I'm a surveyor not an engineer. My rack just doesn't come close to the ones you build. You can PM if you want.

Dan

I agree. Also, if you do feel like shedding 8 lbs and a lot of bulk for longer hikes or overnighters, you could always buy the ODC420 Lightweight and the inflatable seats for the 'Cat fit right into the Creek boat.

Now GO!

BTW, if you're in the market for a rod rack for your FC4... ;)

_SHig

DFrink
08-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Just got the tube, stoked. It is the deluxe model. SHig what is the difference between the LCS and older versions? How do you tell them apart? This one looks like the newer model, it's green. Anyone want to by a Classic Accessories Kennebec?

Dan

Scott V
08-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Just got the tube, stoked. It is the deluxe model. SHig what is the difference between the LCS and older versions? How do you tell them apart? This one looks like the newer model, it's green. Anyone want to by a Classic Accessories Kennebec?

Dan

When are you going to break that bad boy in?

DFrink
08-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Well... I have stuff planned every weekend for the next month:angry: However one of those weekends is camping at Loon Lake so I may try it there. If the wind gets to bad I don't know how it will work out. I hope to make it back up to Grouse Ridge in September, I'll let you know and see if you want to go for a hike.

Dan

When are you going to break that bad boy in?

SHigSpeed
08-17-2011, 03:52 PM
LCS has the "post-legged, semi-rigid" stripping apron. The older versions had the elastic and clips apron. Both have their plusses and minuses. I don't even use one anymore - use a rigid pegged basket these days.

_SHig