PDA

View Full Version : Species specific fly line

trouterfan1
08-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Any recommendations on a good wf/f bass taper fly line for an 8wt fast action rod? I'm in need of a line that will turn over poppers and bass bugs effectively. Would it be ideal to overline a size, or just stick with 8wt line? Anyone have experience with SA bass bug line or the Rio or Cabelas lines? Any help would be appreciated.

briansII
08-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Any recommendations on a good wf/f bass taper fly line for an 8wt fast action rod? I'm in need of a line that will turn over poppers and bass bugs effectively. Would it be ideal to overline a size, or just stick with 8wt line? Anyone have experience with SA bass bug line or the Rio or Cabelas lines? Any help would be appreciated.

I've used Rio's and SA's bass taper lines.....and a couple others too. They work ok on a fast action 8wt, but I would probably up line it by at least one weight. I've switched to Sage's Largemouth Bass Line. Great line, and works well with a fast 8.

briansII

Tony Buzolich
08-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Any time you throw a fly or popper with a lot of bulk it creates wind resistance and you need weight in the line to carry that fly. So, with that logic, if you are putting on a fly larger than you would nornally use on a particular size rod, it helps to go to a larger line as well.

Some tapers are really tapered to the forward portion of the line to carry larger loads. Other lines like Rio's Outbound Short is already overweighted and doesn't need to be added to in order to get your popper going.

Just remember, the LINE is carrying and throwing the fly, not the rod. Hope this helps,
Tony

trouterfan1
08-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys I think I will check out the Rio outbound short I have heard a few fisherman talk about it.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Choices of lines for an 8 weight rod for throwing big poppers, etc:

WF10F in a 'Bass Bug' or 'Saltwater' line (that is up two sizes) = about 300 grains

Rio Outbound Short Coldwater WF8F (which is up two sizes already) = 330 grains

Sage LMB line = 330 grains

All these lines will work. They all have a short head and a short front taper.

**We learned most of this from listen to our Bass mentor, Captain Kevin Doran.

civicrr
08-17-2011, 09:17 PM
I've been using a Clouser 9wt on my 8wt NRX. It works okay but I would prefer something that loads the rod more. I've been fishing for stripers with the rod using either 26' of T-14 or the OBS 8wt I-line.

I asked a similar question recently on Dan's board. Specifically, I asked about using the Outbound Short WF8F vs the Sage Largemouth (330gr) line. Most recommended going with the Sage. One poster included a post by KD pulled from the archives.

The general consensus was that both would work well out to about 30' or so. The knock against using the OBS was when casting with more than the head out. If that were to happen, you'd be handling the running line. You'd also be dealing with the 'hinge' effect.

I haven't decided either way yet.....I'll be borrowing a friends extra OBS WF8F soon. Still, I'm leaning towards the Sage Largemouth line.

GreggH
08-17-2011, 09:46 PM
I toss both strings. The Sage line/LMB rod for close in work and the OBS WF8F/Cross Current rod for Pole Dancing big open water.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/DSC02183.jpg