PDA

View Full Version : East Carson River planted with big trout.....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-14-2011, 11:32 AM
For years they have planted large "brood stock" trout in the lakes and streams of Alpine County.

I think they just planted some of these fisheries.

It is always good for the local economy.

Lots of the big fish caught down in the East Carson River below Hangman's Bridge have been planted.

Some time they are so good looking that many can't tell they are hatchery raise fish.

Some of these fish are 10 pounds.....

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Welcome to Alpine County Online. Scenic Alpine County, California lies along the crest of the central Sierra Nevada, south of Lake Tahoe and north of Yosemite. Its name truly describes the area, since snow-covered peaks, high alpine meadows and beautiful forests are the main geographic features. El Dorado, Amador, Calaveras, Tuolumne, and Mono counties in California, and Douglas County, Nevada border Alpine County. The main routes in Alpine County are state highways 88, 89, and 4. Alpine County has the smallest population of all counties in California (about 1200 people in 1996). Most of the population is concentrated around a few mountain communities: Markleeville, Woodfords, Bear Valley and Kirkwood. Residents enjoy a rural lifestyle, with the convenience of several city areas in the neighboring counties. Markleeville is the County seat, and home to many of the county's offices. Since Alpine County has no incorporated cities, most public services are provided by county departments and agencies.

Jed Peters
08-14-2011, 01:21 PM
No doubt bill. Alpine county spends big bucks on fish every year.

Friday a guy caught and released 16 pounds of fish in 7 casts...2 fish!

Fishing is hot right now for these dumb stockers....they are not attuned to fishermen yet!

Black Cloud
08-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Alpine County has a deal with South Lake Tahoe Water Dist to store treated waste water so it is not put back in the lake .They use the money to stock those big Donaldson trout 5 to 10 lbs. If you are there the day after they stock, you can practice your c&r with 40 fish days, easy.

Bob Laskodi
08-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Kinda like bragging about kissing your sister, ya think????

aaron
08-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Just got back from climbing in the area. Did more skinny dipping than fishing :unibrow: but the water is in excellent shape and the fish are still pretty dumb right now.

Black Cloud
08-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Kinda like bragging about kissing your sister, ya think????

LOL, Kinda like fishing in Alaska without spending a ton of money.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Something like this has been going on for many years now........good for business.

Terry Imai
08-15-2011, 03:32 PM
There's a old story where a young 13-14 year kid proudly comes into the Henry Forks Angler with a 20"+ rainbow that he just caught off the Henry' Fork. For some of you that have fished that water know the P.H.D. grade wariness of those fish. Of course, the fish was dead but the kid wanted to show off his prize. Before anyone else could pop off an ill derserved comment of killing a prized fish, Mike Lawson congratulated the kid on his catch and hoped that would be the first of many trophy fish.

After the kid left the shop with his fish, Mike turned to every "codger" in that group and reminded them that they would have been just as proud when they were of that same age to catch that big of a fish on a fly.

I did ask Mike Lawson if that story was true and he verified it.

wineslob
08-16-2011, 07:19 AM
It's probably been nearly 20 years since I fished the Carson. My favorite section was east of Indian Creek Res. I still remember one run where I hooked something..................large.
I coulden't move the fish, it just sat there....thrummmm......................thrummmm... ............on the end of my 6wt. while I felt the hook slowly pull out.

:crybaby:

It's still one of my favorite rivers to fish. One day, I'll be back. (best Arnold voice) :nod:

Mike O
08-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Alpine County has a deal with South Lake Tahoe Water Dist to store treated waste water so it is not put back in the lake .They use the money to stock those big Donaldson trout 5 to 10 lbs. If you are there the day after they stock, you can practice your c&r with 40 fish days, easy.

I was there when BC did that...and I caught Zippo. Made me wanna cry...unlike kissing my sister...that just makes me wanna go to Nebraska to see her....haven't seen her in 3 years.

OceanSunfish
08-17-2011, 08:08 AM
There's a old story where a young 13-14 year kid proudly comes into the Henry Forks Angler with a 20"+ rainbow that he just caught off the Henry' Fork. For some of you that have fished that water know the P.H.D. grade wariness of those fish. Of course, the fish was dead but the kid wanted to show off his prize. Before anyone else could pop off an ill derserved comment of killing a prized fish, Mike Lawson congratulated the kid on his catch and hoped that would be the first of many trophy fish.

After the kid left the shop with his fish, Mike turned to every "codger" in that group and reminded them that they would have been just as proud when they were of that same age to catch that big of a fish on a fly.

Good story. We need alot more "13-14" year olds out there fishing and catching fish....... and not on their phones texting everyone on the planet.......

"Codgers" would ruin most of my fishing experiences if the politicians and greed of a few of their backers didn't already.....

OceanSunfish
08-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Something like this has been going on for many years now........good for business.

Not only is it good for business but it provides a recreational fishing opportunity at a higher quality level for people of all backgrounds. Those fish are put into the E. Carson to be caught and kept..... hopefully, those catches ignite further interest into fishing and even flyfishing.

I personally know of families that go camping and fishing once a year in the greater Carson Pass to Ebbetts Pass area. Their angling experiences bring them back to that area each year and they look forward to it during the other 346 days they're not up there fishing...... I have much more fun talking 'fishing' with these folks than I do with a room full of "like kissing your sister" flyfishers.

IMO, without these kind of programs, fishing would become further marginalized, if that's possible.

Morgan
08-17-2011, 12:14 PM
They also stock the west fork of the carson w/ these monsters. If your luck is down its always fun to catch a few stockers....especially when they are all 5lbs+.

Charlie S
08-17-2011, 12:23 PM

Mike is, and always has been, a class act.

mems
08-17-2011, 02:42 PM
You are complaining about big dumb fish? Seriously? Isn't that why we travel to distant locales? I loved being in a bar with large breasted drunk blondes. Mems.

Frank Alessio
08-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Catch and Release right???

SHigSpeed
08-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Catch and Release right???

That or catch and get a shot...

:P

_SHig

Dan LeCount
08-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Truck trout are good for the ego, but they arent real fish. Good for the tourists to keep instead of the wild fish and they also are a very high protein food for the mega fish, so Im torn about my views on the matter.

Terry Imai
08-20-2011, 09:22 PM
I forget what year a certain Montana fish biologist recommended that the Madison River become the first totally C&R fishery for trout in the entire state (I'm not sure if it was C&R for rainbows only??) But he was going to get strung up by everyone for introducing such a crazy idea. Fast forward to now where Montana is Mecca for trout fishing and people come from around the world to get their a** handed to them by these educated fish.

If California tourist and lodging ever got their act together and decided that certain stretches of prime water should be strictly C&R, they would notice it significant increase in their pocketbook. If they designate these places (along with many stillwaters) as C&R, it would be amazing the size of these fish and how much money would come to the local economy by fly fisherman who know how to drop money for lodging and guide services.

There will probably be someone making a smarta** comment about all of the business generated by Putah Creek but I'm talking about a place like establishing the entire Bridgeport Reservoir and the East Walker River would be a perfect place for this experiment. Let the trollers go to Crowley if they want to keep their fish but I would bet that business explode if they focused their attention on attracting fly fisherman.

Keep the planting going for the "free stone" water because they cannot maintain a significant population of fish throughout the year.