PDA

View Full Version : Truckee

jrib
08-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Im headed to the Truckee today but wont be able to start fishing until about noon. Anything happening in the afternoons up there? I was thinking of just throwing a hopper dropper or some ant throughout the day until evening. Any advice on where to go up there and what might produce in the afternoon? Iv'e only fished the Truckee as a youngster. We fished the stretch along 89 towards Tahoe city. Is that still a good area? thanks,

bigfly
08-14-2011, 10:00 AM
jrib,
Afternoons can be tough. At 8pm better have a caddis or little yellow stone on, fun, fun, fun.
A 1/2 hr window of buggy/fishy business.
Fish shade with hopper/drop, or better, nymph deep foamy runs during the highnoon part of day..
Early is best, lowest water temps of the day.
Upper river is warm due to Tahoe surface release 62+ and holding.
Check my river report for more.
Enjoy;

Jim

PMD
08-15-2011, 02:27 PM
I always check Bigfly's posts before hitting the Truckee. It always pays! (Thanks Jim). I fished Saturday and it was outstanding. But, most fish were caught early. We should of took a nap through midday, we were too tired to stay til dark, but sounds like it would've been worth it.

-Taylor

bigfly
08-15-2011, 04:25 PM
PMD, thanks.
Nappeez during the afternoon is key to staying in the game at 8:03 PM exactly.
(Mostly to avoid an extra 3-4 hrs of solar/etc. radiation.)
EC Caddis, speckeled, glossasoma, little yellow sallies, micro mays, and largish PMD's. (related?)
Glad it worked out.
See you on the water.

Jim