PDA

View Full Version : So Fork American

Frank Roepke
08-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Bryce and I went out for a late afternoon fish today. River flow was right on and the fish were active. Landed a few nice 12" to 14" Bows :fish: and several smaller ones. I started with an attractor Dry with a dropper, but didn't produce on the dropper, so just used the Dry.
The fish seem bigger this year than last and fatter too boot. Big Caddis all over the place.
Another great evening, life is good!

Frank

Pupa
08-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the encouraging report We hit chili bar in the evening with no luck last weekend. The water was up then down then up within 2 hours which must have thrown things off. Might consider another try this weekend. Any recommendations for a productive stretch of the sf American? Not familiar with the area. Thanks.

Frank Roepke
08-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Pupa,

We go higher up, by Ice House rd to Kybers. Harder the decent off of 50 to the river, better the fishing. Make sure to look both ways when crossing, drivers can't see you to well after the sun goes down!

Frank

DAVID95670
08-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Went Sunday caught number of rainbows and couple brown. All were less than6 inches I was 5 miles past ice house

Where is chili bar? I never meant to go past ice house but at 530 am I blew past it stopped when I saw good water. I am new to this area and getting info on these landmarks people discuss is very hard!

Bead head nymphs worked....used dropper setup not a single hit up top....caddis and blue winged olives..... What is a better dry pattern round here? Couple rejections.....no hits

aaron
08-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Chili Bar is the stretch from Slab Creek Res to Coloma. It has pulse flows due to hydro production and get's rafted heavily. It fishes really well but you need to float it to do so.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-29-2011, 12:50 PM
On Hwy 50 East above Placerville from the Ice House/Union Valley/Loon Lake turn off up hill to Kyburz Lodge is a good stretch right along the right side of the road .

Chili Bar is north of Placerville on the South Fork but goes up and down too much for consistent fishing unless you are floating it. Great streamer fishing now...

Many will turn off to the right just after/above /past the Kyburz Lodge and drive up (south) the Silver Fork too.

Lots of folks were getting fish on #10/12 Stimulators a few weeks ago but as the water comes down and clears you might need smaller (#14/16) dries on lighter(5x-6x) tippets.

Frank Roepke
09-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Hit the SFA this afternoon, 4 to 7ish. This was the first time I have seen other fellow anglers on this part of the river. One of the gents indicated we were the first anglers he's seen there in 15 years! Wow!
Water has gone down some since last fished, but we landed tons of small bow's. I started off with the caddis indicator with hairs ear dropper then switched over to a big hopper and the action was on! I noticed alot of caterpillars, black front and back with an orange body. I will pick some up for the next outing.
The gent I was fishing with (Blake) purchased some new simms boots with rubber soles and he took 2 full dunks! He could not believe how poorly the boots worked on the rocks. Fortunately the boots will take spikes.

Frank