PDA

View Full Version : Delta PoleDancer & AirHead Morning

Hatch
08-10-2011, 09:06 PM
The A.R. dropped at least a foot, making it difficult to get around even with a skinny draft Jet Sled. Headed out to the North Delta with Striper Sniper regular Andy Solari. Perfect tide at first light. Sage XI3's cocked and loaded with med. PoleDancers and smll. AirHeads. We were on fish good for the first hour. Andy was "skating" a custom painted AirHead and I was throwing a purple P.D. I had 3 hook-ups and at least as many follows in the first 15 minutes of light. What a freak'n blast it is to find a group of decent sized, eager stripers with the PoleDancer. I almost fell off my boat I was having so much fun.
Then I had to mess it all up. I was getting a little cocky throwing my fly right against some rocks, where we had a good group of fish feeding, and I landed my fly in a small tree. I didn't want to go close to the rocks and get my fly out because the fish were still pushing up bait and I would have put them down. I was using 30# flouro to turn over my P.D. and when I tried to break it off to save the day, I ended up pulling my boat in, instead of breaking the line. I had no choice but to hold my line tight and let Andy have all the fun. After he landed a few more fish, I couldn't take it any longer and I put a ton of pressure, and using my trolling motor I finally broke free. I put on a Rainbow Trout P.D. and continued to get bit. LMB and stripers in the same area pushing up bait. It is good to be lucky!!
Andy ended up getting a Delta Slam, with Stripers, Smallies and LMB.
Great fun. All fish came to the AirHead or the P.D.
Thank you Charlie B.
HATCH

Joe Mateas
08-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Nice report, I went out on the "D" last night for a few hours with only one bite, no fish landed. The wind was blowing so hard it was tough to get a good cast in(for me atleast), but I was determined and still am to catch some fish on the fly. What size are the P.D. and Airheads your using, are you tying them or where can I buy some? I'm a reborn fly fisherman and need a few pointers on fly choices for striper and LMB flies.

Hatch
08-11-2011, 07:50 AM
We were using the Med. P.D. on a Sage XI3 10 wt. loaded up with an 11 wt. Rio OBS, Quigley twisted leader. The AirHead was a small. on an XI3 8wt with an OBS F/I.
HATCH

Joe Mateas
08-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks, I have a Scott A3 8wt with 8wt Rio OBS but have been thinking I should get something bugger to get the big flies out there. Maybe I should start looking for a 9 or 10wt rod to get the job done.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-11-2011, 09:13 AM
I think a 9 weight rod with a Rio OBS Coldwater WF10F is a good combo for most of us to throw fairly big top water stuff around here.....

I am a big fan of the entire Rio Outbound Short series and the Airhead from Umpqua and now the Pole Dancer is working for me too.

I am excited that Captain Maury Hatch is fishing so progressively in his guiding locally using top water, just under and deep methods for Stripers and LMB.

briansII
08-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Nice report, I went out on the "D" last night for a few hours with only one bite, no fish landed. The wind was blowing so hard it was tough to get a good cast in(for me atleast), but I was determined and still am to catch some fish on the fly. What size are the P.D. and Airheads your using, are you tying them or where can I buy some? I'm a reborn fly fisherman and need a few pointers on fly choices for striper and LMB flies.

Both flies should be available at Kiene's Fly Shop. If you have trouble finding the fly shop, I can supply a contact number. ;-)

briansII

joshfish
08-11-2011, 12:48 PM
when you were done did you go retrieve your fly. i know i would have as much as the pd cost.

Hatch
08-11-2011, 10:16 PM
when you were done did you go retrieve your fly. i know i would have as much as the pd cost.

You bet I went and got it out of the tree. That one was a gift from C.B. and I am not going to loose it.
H

mar
08-12-2011, 11:00 AM
That's some good stuff right there. Finding actively feeding fish = guaranteed epic session

Thanks for taking us there Mr. Hatch!