PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon

Frank Roepke
08-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Kenny and I hiked into Rubicaon Canyon Sunday AM, fished till noon. Water was perfect and so were the fish. we landed about 20+ each, lost count after a couple of hours. Most were 8" to 10". They hit the top fly hard then after the sun was on the water I put on a dropper off the Dry fly and had great success.
Kenny hit some of the deeper pools hunting for Mr. Tobie, but no luck.

I only took a couple of pic's, they didn't turn out to well, sorry.

Frank

lcpl.allan
08-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Planning a trip up to the Rubi this week below hellhole. Any suggestions on flies? What was the hatch like? First time up there for me this season.

Thanks

Frank Roepke
08-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Allan,

Any attractor dry will work, size 14 to 16. I would also try a dropper, Hairs ear or Prince. The rocks were full of Stone Flies. Thats what Kenny tied on to go after the bigger fish in the deeper holes, but no luck.

Great fishing!

Frank

lcpl.allan
08-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks a lot. I'm looking forwards to this weekend. I fished it last year for the first time and fell in love with it. Landed a 12 1/2" rainbow on my six foot 2wt. I'll be sure to post some pictures if we get anything.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-16-2011, 09:28 AM
A wild Rainbow trout that is 12 inches on a light rod is a real thrill.

We use to drive up to Chili Bar on the South Fork of the American River near Placerville after work and just hit the evening hatch.

In the 1980s we had better access there that allowed us to park around the bridge and wade fish all the way upstream to the dam and also go way down stream for miles too.

On a 16 Light Cahill dry we would get some nice 12 inch wild Rainbow trout that had white on the tips of their beautiful fins. They would really jump and run....

I have a nice older 8'6" #3 line 3 piece Winston Traditional for this kind of fishing.

Troutsource
08-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Bill, in the 1980's, did the flows fluctuate daily like they do today? They seem to hinder insect growth. I was there recently and saw nothing under the rocks (except midge shucks(?)). Maybe everything was deeper down. Left too early to see whether there was an evening hatch.

joh
08-19-2011, 01:57 PM
We use to drive up to Chili Bar on the South Fork of the American River near Placerville after work and just hit the evening hatch.

In the 1980s we had better access there that allowed us to park around the bridge and wade fish all the way upstream to the dam and also go way down stream for miles too.

Is the section of river around Chili Bar no longer publicly accessible?

Years ago, I used to drive through that area quite a bit, but never bothered to stop to try and fish there.