PDA

View Full Version : Upper Sac advice

Sammy
08-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey friends, Go Giants.

Ok so I'll be hitting the upper sac for the first time. We're NOT going to get a guide due to $$. I'm just wondering if anybody can offer a little advice on technique for that river. What type of rig would you suggest, etc...

I'm usually pretty good about changing up tactics, but it's always to go into a new place with a little idea of what to do.

kokaneejr
08-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Sammy

A couple things I can tell you as last year was my first up there as well.

1. When you get there head to the fly sop in Dunsmuir and they will give you some great advice without pressuring you to buy or get a guide. They were super nice to me and helped a lot. Oh, and get a map there.

2. Google Mossbrae falls. Even if you don't catch a fish the falls are worth it..Streamers may work here.( I pretty much focused on photography here so didn't fish it to much.

3. Fish at the Dunsmuir Botanical Gardens I think they may plant here and caddis stimulators work even when there isn't a hatch going on. That is what the fly shop said and I caught plenty of nice fish here.

4. Do some research online and make sure you fish the Cantara loop area.

Finally if you have time and family make a drive to the Mcloud areas. The falls and the hiking in the upper ares are beautiful and the fishing is pretty easy.

Good luck watch for snakes and post some awesome photos.....Craig

p.s. Go Giants

NorCalDrifter56
08-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Hi Sammy,

All good advice so far. The Ted Fay shop in Dunsmuir will steer you right. I would stick to small nymphs as a rule. I recommend a medium sized (#12 -14) dark bead head stone with a smaller (#16 - 18) medium brown/tan non bead head (an olive birds nest works well too).I usually switch up tactics for the evening and use a bit more 'flash' in my nymphs. I think the real trick is to use as much weight as you can to get your bugs down quickly. In the upper river the slots are small and sometimes short so if you dont get down quick you'll miss it along with the bigger fish.

Right now the bigger fish are in the lower river....Dog Creek, McArdle Flats.... There is more water there and the access is fairly easy too. There is a natural expressway along the river; the railroad tracks. They make it easy to up and down stream and no matter where you are you are never far from the water. Look for rising fish......

Good luck and enjoy this jewel of the north state. Feel free to PM or email me if you have any other questions.

Curtis Cole
norcaldrifter56@yahoo.com
California Guide - Licensed and Bonded

Sammy
08-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Very helpful. I haven't fished since june so I am READY. I've already organized my gear twice.