PDA

View Full Version : New member, self intro

luckydude
08-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi guys,

I stumbled on this forum because I was searching for a lamson LP reel. Seems like a nice place and I already knew about Kiene's fly shop (never been there, have to fix that, but I have talked to Bill quite a few years back, great guy).

I'm just shy of 50, been fly fishing for decades, though the last one has been sparse because I had kids. Cut into my fishing time quite a bit. I'd rate me as pretty good, not fantastic. Fish almost exclusively drys, my goto patterns are elk hair caddis, parachute adams, and various hoppers - I know, a hopper is cheating. I'm almost 50, ok? Gimme a break :)

We're in the SF Bay area so my fishing is pretty much the Sierras though the Trinity Alps are fun too. One area I've never done well in is the Hat Creek/McCloud area. I think I'm just not good enough to fish those areas. Or something, just never had a good time up there.

We took a trip to Bryce, Zion, and then circled back to Mammoth Lakes and spent a week there. Fishing was OK, I got into a nice brown on Hot Creek. Upper Owens was a lot of fun though I never got anything bigger than 12 inches. Sigh.

The best part of the trip, for me, was that the kids wanted to fish, we tried lures, we tried (shudder) bait, and we tried flys. Flys worked and they were hooked.

Pics of the trip are here:

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/2011-vacation

and last night I was fishing a local creek with my second son and I think this is a little steelhead, maybe someone can confirm that?

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/steelhead/

Anyway, here I am and happy to be here.

Cheers,

--lm

SHigSpeed
08-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Welcome aboard! Great photos, thanks. ;)

That fish, BTW, looks like a resident rainbow. Should it decide to head downstream and come back shiny, then it'd be a steelhead.

Hope to see more posts.

_SHig

p.s. Love the sprinter wagon. Uberspace!!

Sammy
08-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the board. Tell you what, take that photo down, and you can call that fish a steelhead for the rest of your life ;)

You may want to dig around this board and find some tips on using nymphs as that might be why you have some trouble on certain rivers. I use to be the same way and only wanted to fish dry flies, but then i realized my desire to catch more, and larger fish was stronger.

Now i fish nymphs 85% of the time, but I'm always happy to fish dries to rising trout.

Frank Roepke
08-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Welcome Luckydude,

Excellent Pictures, I love the Sprinter Van!!!!

Looking forward to more post,

Frank

Jaybinder
08-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the board. The more Bay Area guys here the better!

NorCalDrifter56
08-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Welcome aboard! Nice pics.... Yes, steelhead it is...

The rivers of the north state can be tremendous as well as tricky. I live in Redding and fish them year round and the real trick is to be on the right river at the right time.

If you keep current with this site you will catch on quick as to where to be and when. As a long time resident of Redding and a licensed/bonded guide I have found that you can find good fishing almost any day, year round, if you are willing to learn a few new tactics. There is always a 'hatch' somewhere.....

Feel free to PM or email me if you have any more questions or just want some friendly advice.

Enjoy!

Curtis Cole
norcaldrifter56@yahoo.com
California guide - Licensed and Bonded

Hibbygibi
08-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Looks like you and the family had a nice trip...
Welcome to the forum.. There is alot of info here, some good, some not so good. Like any other forum it becomes what you make it .
If your looking for info on the Burney, Fall River region feel free to drop me a line.
I'm located in the north bay.