PDA

View Full Version : Transparent EP-like material?

Ralph
08-07-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm looking for a clear (transparent), relatively soft material along the line of EP Fiber. White doesn't work. Any ideas?

k9mark
08-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Hmmm, what are you working on Ralph?

Ralph
08-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Looking for a clear foundation to trap bubbles. Seems like if they can make transparent monofilament and fluorocarbon, somebody would have a clear plastic dubbing or fiber.

Larry S
08-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Ralph:
Thought about fiber optics. Probably too rigid. How about the "angel hair" that
some people use on Christmas trees?
Best to you,
Larry S

Terry Thomas
08-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Ralph,
Have you tried Steve Farrar's Flash Blend? You might pair that up with a little antron below to catch some bubbles.
Terry

Ralph
08-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Larry - intriguing idea. I just ordered 2 oz of "nostalgic" angel hair off ebay. I'll let you know.
Terry- I have used Flash Blend in white and off white. Does he make a clear? That would be perfect.

BS
08-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm looking for a clear (transparent), relatively soft material along the line of EP Fiber. White doesn't work. Any ideas?

Hummm.......

Off the top of my head......
What about fiberglass cloth or strands of fiberglass cloth.......??

Just thinkin' out loud.

Bob

Mike O
08-08-2011, 10:03 PM
My issue with fiberglass comes from helping dad make a glass and foam boat. Glass cloth etc is pretty abrasive. What would it do to a trout's mouth...or your fingers if you spin the dubbing without gloves, no?

BS
08-09-2011, 08:51 AM
My issue with fiberglass comes from helping dad make a glass and foam boat. Glass cloth etc is pretty abrasive. What would it do to a trout's mouth...or your fingers if you spin the dubbing without gloves, no?

Now that I think about it.......Very true.
It was just a thought on my part !!

Ralph,
Let us know what you finally end up using and how well it works !!

Bob

Ralph
08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Teased out some strands of fiberglass and played with it some. Very wispy and desiccant doesn't stick to the slick surface so it won't work for wings, but it sure looks nice in the water. Almost like smoke. Chopped some up into a loop and dubbed it onto a hook. Really nice translucent baitfish body. More translucent than any other stuff I've played with. Thanks for the great idea. You can be sure I'll be using the stuff for something. No problems with abrasion or "insulation itch".
I cross post my original question to Blanton's and Flytying.com. Between here and the other two sites, there are some pretty creative and talented people out there. Internet is amazing.