PDA

View Full Version : New Hardy UltraLite DD fly reels @ Kiene's

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
You have to come by to see and feel these new reels in person.

http://www.hardynorthamerica.com/

$199 for #5 line to $349 usd for #11 line

Specs & prices:

http://www.hardynorthamerica.com/EMAILS2011/Specs.html

We are opened 7 days a week.

Toll free 800/400-0359

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-26-2011, 07:53 AM
http://midcurrent.com/2011/08/26/best-of-show-freshwater-reels-hardy-ultralite/

Best of show.....courtesy of MidCurrent blog:

Tony Buzolich
08-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Bill,

This looks like a beautiful reel and the price is right too, but, what makes it a "Freshwater" reel vs. an all around reel that could be used in the salt on occassion?

I'm thinking I want one of these mainly for stripers in the rivers and delta but I don't want to think about it twice if I take off for the keys. Next month we're taking off for New Orleans and plan a few days chasing redfish in the Biloxi Marsh though still a delta it has a lot more salt than here.

If used in the salt, what could I expect to have happen?
TONY

mems
08-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Hey Tony, have fun down in the marsh. I grew up there with a place on Bay St. Louis, and a camp in the marsh. If you are in town go to Casementos oyster bar on magazine for some soft shelled poboys and oysters on the 1/2 shell. Have a great time, Don.

Tony Buzolich
08-26-2011, 02:09 PM
This is what's so good about this board,,, Great Information, from people who want to share their good times with others.

Don, you can bet Jim and I will make a point of finding Casamentos. Lots of different kinds of PO' Boy's and they're all great.

I spent lots of summers in Biloxi as a kid. My family there owned several shrimpboats and a marine hardware store, all of which got washed away with hurricane Katrina.

Getting back to the Hardy Ultralite DD's,,,,,, I've got plenty of Abels that I take everywhere and don't think twice about what kind of water they're in. But, I really like the look of the new Hardy, and it's just a kind of a WANT thing, not really a need.
TONY

mems
08-26-2011, 04:02 PM
I have a hardy for trout, and love the sound of that clicker when a trout makes a run. For salt I am now in love with the new BVK reel. I have it in the 6wt and the 8wt. I hope Rick will make it in some different colors, but it is a great looking, light, ultra large arbor. It has handled lots of big bones out here with no issues. That new Hardy looks nice, very similar to the BVK. If you want a great grinds, go to the Napoleon house right next to the court house, and order a gumbo, muffalatto and a pimms cup and listen to some classical music. Sit out side and enjoy the nite blooming jasmine. Have fun and post some pictures when you get back. Don.

Guinness
08-31-2011, 10:13 PM
I have a hardy for trout, and love the sound of that clicker when a trout makes a run. For salt I am now in love with the new BVK reel. I have it in the 6wt and the 8wt. I hope Rick will make it in some different colors, but it is a great looking, light, ultra large arbor. It has handled lots of big bones out here with no issues. That new Hardy looks nice, very similar to the BVK. If you want a great grinds, go to the Napoleon house right next to the court house, and order a gumbo, muffalatto and a pimms cup and listen to some classical music. Sit out side and enjoy the nite blooming jasmine. Have fun and post some pictures when you get back. Don.

Where abouts on Big Island are you fly fishing for bones? I did not know you had any flats out there.

Guinness
08-31-2011, 10:27 PM
On another note, I just ordered one of the new Abel 'Switch' reels (matte bass Yellow) to fish the Bones over here on Oahu. I can't wait to hear that click and pawl scream!! Finally someone offers a true saltwater click and pawl reel in the appropriate size.
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/abel-unveils-two-new-pawl-click-reels-spey-and-switch-to-meet-growing-interest/

Jeff Pattersen at Abel tells me the smaller Switch model will easily take 200+ 30# with a WF 8wt line, should you choose the single hand route.

Mark Kranhold
09-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Guinness, Oahu has some of the worlds largest bones. You lucky dog! I got to fish for them once there, but the weather turned to the fishes advantage. I hope to fish there again some time soon

EricO
09-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Just picked up the Hardy DD 7000 for my new Echo switch rod from Kiene's the other day. Hoping to test drive it tomorrow. Sweet design and machining. And a bargain price for Hardy products.

Btw, great service from Jim and Aaron at Kiene's. Always friendly and helpful.

Report to come.

Eric

bassakwards
07-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Any more reviews on this Reel? Looking for a 10wt, Bill what is the pricing for that and do you still have them in stock?

aaron
07-30-2012, 11:21 PM
I'd pass on the bigger sizes, for trout/bass/stripers they're fine but on the bigger sizes you can't wrap backing on too tight or the spool warps. The Ross CLA is a better alternative.