PDA

View Full Version : Feather River Salmon/Steelhead

arwrestler141
08-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Hello all, I was exploring some new rivers to fish for Salmon and was wondering how the Feather River has been doing for the last two week. I heard the flows were way down, does anyone know where I can look to check for up to date flows. I was also wondering where was a better spot to target, below Oroville in the wildlife area, or below Yuba City for this time of year.

Lincoln Gray
08-02-2011, 02:39 PM
You can only fish or target Salmon in the High Flow, 200 yards down river from the outlet. Vance and Palm Ave would be your best bit. Here is a link for the flows.
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryRES?oro

arwrestler141
08-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks Lincoln, can I get by taking my car along those roads that run next to the river in the Wildlife area below the outlet? Or should I bring my truck? Thanks for the tips.

Anthony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Salmon or steelhead this time of year is an early AM deal.

There might be some at the mouth of the Yuba River at times too.

Be sure to check the CA DF&G laws first....

Lincoln Gray
08-05-2011, 09:09 AM
I would bring the truck. Those roads can be a bit more than a car can handle

arwrestler141
08-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks, Lincoln and Bill.
Thanks for all the info, it has been very helpful, I will be heading up to the feather river this weekend to fish for Salmon and Steelhead from the banks, from Verona, North to below the Yuba airport. Was wondering if there is bank access along Garden HWY in this area and how is it? I have heard that is has been picking up slowly near the confluence of the feather and sac. Are there also stripers and smallmouth bass in these areas along Garden HWY? Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I think there are Smallmouth bass in the entire length of the lower Feather River.

I think there are a few Stripers scattered through out the river in the summer.

Salmon can be a tough deal on a fly rod unless they are very plentiful. Fresh ones will be holding at river mouths or in deeper fast runs.

There might be some Steelhead or resident Rainbows up in the Low Flow stretch.

I think in this clear warm weather down here in the valley, early and late in the day is an advantage with flies or any artificials.