PDA

View Full Version : Finally went fishing in my boat with Marilyn.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-01-2011, 08:21 PM
We had today off so we took the boat up to the Lower Feather River near Yuba City/Marysville to look for some Smallmouth Bass. Mostly a 'recon' trip.....

Stopped by Sutter Marine to say Hello to Brian.

Launched near the mouth of the Yuba River and went up stream on the Feather. Flow is low at around 1,200 cfs so it should have been plenty warm. You need a small aluminum boat or a jet boat because the water gets really shallow in places. Mostly sand and old dead trees.....

Looking for shade, snags/dead trees and rip-rap/rock walls.......

We fished more mid-day but we hear that later in the day with the sun off the water is even better........5pm till dark.

Had a #6 weight rod with a Rio Outbound Short Cold water WF6F with a simple two piece leader to 12# test.

I used the same smallest Pole Dancer in the Rainbow Trout pattern all day.

We ran upstream for 15 minutes and then parked in the shade and had lunch. While sitting there I saw several larger Smallmouth swimming along the shore in shallow shaded water.

We had a nice day catching 6-7 small/medium Smallmouth on top in the shade. I had lots of small ones try to attack the fly and I did have one larger one, maybe 3# on for a short powerful fight.

We had to leave around 5pm (darn it) because we had to be home so Marilyn could watch the final episode of the Bachelorette tonight at 8pm.

I will be going back now that I know more about it with Andy in August/September.....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-01-2011, 08:24 PM
More pictures......

This is a nice fishery.

joshfish
08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
its nice to see that sweet boat of yours getting used. are you keeping it now?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Marilyn finally got to go in it and I think we will keep it now.

Scott V
08-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Glad you found time to get out and explore in that sweet ride Bill.

gene goss
08-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Life is to short for just one boat....you and Marilyn would look good in a jet boat chasing smallmouth.

Jay Murakoshi
08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Bill

Those smallies look great. That's exactly what video footage I need for the Bass video.
OK, anyone out there guiding the river, if so let me know or post a message. Around the middle of the month, I'll be down for a few days (hernia surgery) or maybe a few hours but need to make a trip for some smallies. Any small rivers worth wading? or lakes worth taking a pram too. Locations will not be disclosed in the video.

Thanks

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Jay,

We could take Andy in my boat to the Feather River some afternoon/evening in August/September?

Jay Murakoshi
08-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Let me know what's good for you and Andy. I'll bring the camera's and rods. I'll even take everyone out dinner after

Jay

Jgoding
08-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Sweet trip Bill. What's this talk of you not keeping your boat??? Seems like a great ride. Smallies are good fun, never caught them on the fly though but I guess it's something to think about.

gene goss
08-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Bill

Those smallies look great. That's exactly what video footage I need for the Bass video.
OK, anyone out there guiding the river, if so let me know or post a message. Around the middle of the month, I'll be down for a few days (hernia surgery) or maybe a few hours but need to make a trip for some smallies. Any small rivers worth wading? or lakes worth taking a pram too. Locations will not be disclosed in the video.

Thanks

Jay

I had my hernia surgery last thursday, and i'm thinking about fishing already(good drugs)....hope your doing well.

KJE
08-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Way to go, Bill, and thanks for setting my girlfriend up with her first pair of wading boots. She had a great time and appreciated your offer to order the version with felt, spikes and high heels.

OceanSunfish
08-05-2011, 02:40 PM
We had to leave around 5pm (darn it) because we had to be home so Marilyn could watch the final episode of the Bachelorette tonight at 8pm.

Don't let that happen again...... DVR or TiVo !!

Todd
08-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Nice to see you out fishing and using your boat....too nice to sell!