PDA

View Full Version : Modifying your 'Stick Jacket'

jerry from sac
07-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Has anyone modified their 'Stick Jacket' by custom cutting off the gromet end to suit the length of the rod? How did you reclose the end?
-
- thanks
- jerry

KD
07-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Don't cut off the grommet. It is usefull for lots of things including wrapping them on a boat rail. Cut off from the "bell" end and reform the opening with a piece of pipe, alum funnel or something that fits your need. Cut it clean, fold over, insert form and then use a heatgun to form to shape. Too much heat and it will melt back. Use just enough heat to get it to hold shape....it's easy.

Darian
07-31-2011, 03:10 PM
I agree with KD. Don't cut off the grommet. It's useful several different ways. Also, these jackets come in differing lengths and widths. However, none that I've seen will accommodate an assembled, 9' rod.

If you're trying modify one to make it long enough to cover a fully assembled 9 foot rod, you could try cutting off the grommet end and of one stuffing that into another, un-modified Stick Jacket, far enough to gain the length you desire.... Pinning the insert to the outer shell could be done by sewing them together using a heavy gauge thread. Not sure I think that's a good idea, tho.

I've been using them to transport rods in the back of my pick up and from the hotel and back in Baja for several years now. However, the rods are broken down with 4 piece rods in the short Stick Jacket and 3 piece rods in the longer version. I really like them as they are. :D

jerry from sac
07-31-2011, 04:00 PM
I've used Blanton's rigged and ready bags for years and really do like them. All my rods are four piece rods and have always just broke them in half, fully rigged and stuffed them in the bag. I would do the same if I had a ' stick jacket'. If you are dealing with saltwater rods from what I've seen you will have to buy the largest size sj to fit over the large stripping guide and when you do this you'll have bag that's too long, thus you'll have to modify it. I'm sure there are useful uses for the grommet but I just don't see how I would use it.
The only reason I'm considering a sj is because I travel a lot and the rigged and ready bags weigh considerly more than a sj. When flying in a small plane into places like the Amazon, Alaska and Uruguay weight becomes a major factor.

civicrr
07-31-2011, 08:35 PM
If you don't like the grommet end, just do what the other companies are doing. They fold the end lengthwise. After it is folded, they put approx. 1 1/2" of heat shrink on it. I actually did perform this to my Stick Jackets for my conventional gear. It made getting the rods in & out of my rod tubes in the bass boat easier.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-31-2011, 09:43 PM
I think you can cut the open end to length, fold it under and iron it to shape.

I think that is what the Stick Jacket guy told me on the phone once.