PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Ridge- still snow!

EricO
07-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Did a day trip into a few lakes in the Grouse Ridge area on Sunday. I've been hiking in this area for over 8 years and have NEVER seen snow this late. There were still a few drifts in the shade of some widely used trails and some huge overhanging drifts over the water. It's
almost August!! Fall fishing should be epic.

Was able to wet wade although there was considerable shrinkage. ;)

Caught a handful of cutthroats and a brookie....was more of a recon trip to see if there were decent size fish in one particular lake. Nope, mostly 10 inchers. Will revisit in two years to see if they've grown.

Oh and my wife did the round trip 8 mile hike with me. What a studette...and she biked around 15 miles yesterday. Heck, I'm still licking my wounds and limping around! Thank goodness for Vitamin I (ibuprofen).

Will post pics later.

Eric

wineslob
07-28-2011, 07:23 AM
I was in the Culbertson Lake area of Grouse Ridge last weekend. Yup, lots of snow, it kept the beer cold. :D

Went to Rock Lake, nanda. Just like last year. Probably froze out. Stayed at Lower Rock, and it seems DFG, in their infinite wisdom :roll: replanted the lake AGAIN. There WERE at one time, big Brookies in the lake, but no more. Now it's small Rainbows and Kamloops?

Asshats. :mad:

EricO
07-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Hey Wineslob,

Were they all the normal cookie cutter 10" in Lower Rock?

Quite a bit of snow in that area...especially in the shade.

Passed lots of hikers.

Eric

Cranny
07-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the report - going to check it out in a couple of weeks. Would love to see those pics when you have a chance. Good stuff.

Cranny

wineslob
08-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Hey Wineslob,

Were they all the normal cookie cutter 10" in Lower Rock?

Quite a bit of snow in that area...especially in the shade.

Passed lots of hikers.

Eric

They sure were. Not like the Brooks of 4 years ago in the 2-5 lb range. They do eat quite well, so I expect them to get good-sized next year.

I miss the Brookies. :(

EricO
08-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Funny. There was a time several years back where every single fish was that size. Love the surrounding area with the cliffs and trees. And hidden from the wind...gotta love that!

Eric

EricO
08-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Ya, those are some HUGE brookies. Would have liked to hook into a few of those!

wineslob
08-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Ya, those are some HUGE brookies. Would have liked to hook into a few of those!

Heh, when my daughter was 7 (she's now 13) I took her out in a raft (she sat with me in the raft) in the lake and trolled for the buggers. She hooked up with 5 that she could not lift the rod on and they broke off. I broke off at least that many myself using 5 lb leader. It was crazy. :nod:

My buddy, who showed me the lake back in the early 80's, still thinks those lunkers are in the lake, feasting on planters. :grin:

EricO
08-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Too bad...would love to have hooked into a big brookie like that! Not a ton of lakes where they grow big....they always overpopulate.

I'm jonesin to fish now! Work is overrated. ;)

eric