PDA

View Full Version : More Illegal Salmon Fishing on Yuba River

Ned Morris
07-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Some people still don't get it. Salmon have been off limits on the Yuba since 2008. Look at this guys gear! My ass he's fishing for Steelhead.

1-800-CALTIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXJK3VHWN8Y

Darian
07-27-2011, 11:09 AM
No disrespect meant here but I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of gear being the measure of this guys intent. He's using 4 pound test line and although he's fishing near spawning Salmon, there's no indication that he wasn't targeting Steelhead that are mixed in with the Salmon feeding on their roe. Even fly fisherman do that. If you fish in places where Salmon are spawning, you're going to hook one occasionally whether you're targeting 'em or not. :-|

I'm a bit concerned that he fought that fish for over 2 hours; a result of using 4 pound test line. He probably should have broken it off. :-|

mountain4wt
07-28-2011, 01:01 PM
1-888-caltip

Fish Guru
08-02-2011, 12:20 AM
he definitely should have broken that fish off rather than fight it out like that, but that gear he's using is pretty much typical spinning gear used for steelhead, not sure where you're going with the look at his gear angle?

Ned Morris
08-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Guy is playing a Salmon for 2 hours. WRONG! Anyone with Steelhead gear could land a Salmon in 2 hours. Yes you can get hooked up, thing is break them off and try your best to avoid it from happening again. This guy had no intention of doing that and so bold with ego to actually post this on YouTube. Conclusion: He was targeting Salmon

OnTheSwing
08-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Seriously, if you can't tell a steelhead from a salmon you need to take up another sport... Maybe lawn bowling! 4 Lb. test, you're fishing for dinks. I'm pretty sure the regs say, no attempt to take. Once he identified it was a salmon, one good pull and it's released. As for CalTip, what I like is that these two yahoos not only post on YouTube but stand by their truck right next to the license plate! Priceless! Bottom line if you're planning on catch n release, playing it two hours is certain doom for the fish.

cyama
08-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I think Trout dog is right for California. You should just break them off. It is not like it is any fun to try to land a salmon on the Yuba anyways. They just move like a slow truck... Sometimes they will jet off when first hooked, but once you see it is a salmon snap it off!!! I was really surprised at the Great Lakes article on early King Salmon fly fishing in Fly Fisherman mag. The writer goes through ways to fish the early salmon... I guess those guys have never hooked one of those rocket trout and steelies on the Yuba:D