PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead or Shad?

Frank Roepke
07-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I am getting ready to switch over from Shad to Steelhead and was wondering if anyone has been fishinging for them?
I like to fish above Sunrise bridge to Sailor bar area. Swinging a Nitro Cadis with a Sizzling Squirrel as a dropper.
Any input and suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Frank

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Hi Frank

I think we have some Steelhead in the Lower American River almost year round now.

I have sold fishing tackle very near this river for over 40 years so I have had lots of feedback.

In past years an old friend's son pulled plugs in the summer for fresh run salmon very early in the morning in a drift boat. He says on occasion they will hook a very fresh large wild Steelhead and this can be in July and August? Some of these fish were hooked around lower Goethe Park or Upper Herrington access.

I think this is what is left of the Washougal River Summer-runs that was introduced in the 1970s?

We usually start looking for the fall Half-pounder Steelhead run in late August down somewhere from Watt Avenue down stream.

For the larger ones I would go out very early in the morning sometime with a sink-tip and an olive or black leech.

With small insect imitations in the surface, early and late in the day, I think we catch mostly the fish that are smaller, which is what I have done for years.

** Right now as the Shad solw down should be a good window for Stripers too. August/September.....