PDA

View Full Version : 22,000 Fingerling LCT dumped in Tahoe????

Ned Morris
07-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Nothing ever shocks me from the stupidity of DFG anymore. Not like they have extra money to throw around either. When I saw in the SF Chronicle that they dumped 22,000 Fingerling Lahontans into Tahoe I wondered: Do they actually think these fish will survive? I have to make a call to my DFG Biologist contact on this one. CA DFG has been trying this futile effort for over 50 years and it does not work. Fodder for the Browns and Mackinaws, nothing more and those suckers are there to stay. Sorry the 30 lb. LCT of yesteryear never coming back. Would be nice to think so and replace what existed 130 years ago but nothing more than a PR move to make people think DFG trying to actually restore fluvial LCT to Tahoe to make everyone feel nice and warm inside. One person here not buying it!

caltagm
07-26-2011, 12:54 PM
The LCT were stocked by the Nevada Department of Wildlife with cooperation from CA DFG, USFWS, and USFS. The fish came from the Mason Valley Hatchery run by NDOW near Yerington, NV. The plantings are not intended to restore LCT to Lake Tahoe. They are intended for recreational sportsmen to catch. There is a long-term goal (hope?) that someday they will be able to restore LCT to Lake Tahoe but this isn't an attempt at that. Seasonal carry-over of the stockers is not expected to be very high. RBT have been stocked in the past and I believe the concept is that if you're going to plant keepers in the lake, they might as well be (semi-)natives.

Ned Morris
07-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Now I am really confused. Fingerling Trout for recreational fishing? Is it that bad now? What are the odds one might catch a 1-3" planted trout in a lake the size of Tahoe even with 22,000 of them dumped in? What's the over/under on that one? Oh how the plot thickens!!!!! Sorry still make no sense.

The LCT were stocked by the Nevada Department of Wildlife with cooperation from CA DFG, USFWS, and USFS. The fish came from the Mason Valley Hatchery run by NDOW near Yerington, NV. The plantings are not intended to restore LCT to Lake Tahoe. They are intended for recreational sportsmen to catch. There is a long-term goal (hope?) that someday they will be able to restore LCT to Lake Tahoe but this isn't an attempt at that. Seasonal carry-over of the stockers is not expected to be very high. RBT have been stocked in the past and I believe the concept is that if you're going to plant keepers in the lake, they might as well be (semi-)natives.

caltagm
07-26-2011, 02:35 PM
The stocked fish are an average of 9". Besides, who said NDOW and CaDF&G are required to make sense!!

bigfly
07-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Personally, I've been crafting a 9" cutty streamer.
Never know when one will come in handy.
Maybe on a sinking line around cave rock.
Maybe just about dark/dawn.
I'll let ya know....

Jim

Morgan
07-28-2011, 04:31 PM
This would be too good to be true. If I could only push my longboard down to the lake and catch cutties. I wish!