PDA

View Full Version : Lake Siskiyou Smallmouth/Hex Hatch

Rockman
07-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Just got back this evening from Dunsmuir, and fishing Lake Siskiyou last nite. My 12 year old nephew who I'm slowly teaching how to flyfish had some good fun. The evening hex hatch is sporadic. Even though we had a nice double hook-up, one on a Hex cripple ( 15" bow) and a 1 1/2 lb smallmouth on a Hex adult. Both fish were caught on our first cast within seconds of each other, then we worked hard for the rest of the evening. Earlier, throwing small poppers got a lotta small smallies, as did a green crystal bugger. My nephew who is trying hard to learn how to cast, did enjoy a nice smallmouth. The picture should tell the story.

jbird
07-26-2011, 06:11 AM
Sweet! Love the picture

Mr T
07-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Great shot of him with Shasta in the background. That screams frame me!

Darian
07-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Nothing like a bent rod to bring out the smiles.... Good job. :D

Frank Alessio
07-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Good Job Buddy....

Spicytuna1
07-26-2011, 04:53 PM
That is a great lake up there. Next time you might want to try a glimmer minnow or other hi visibility streamer on a slow intermediate or dry against the bank and you can actually watch the smallies come out and eat it. Pretty cool

Good Job getting getting the nephew into some fish.

Rockman
07-26-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm gonna have to check out that fly. Going back up in two weeks, hoping with the late season the hex hatch will be stronger, but if not, we will fish buggers, leaches, & minnow patterns. I love this lake and its almost in my backyard. Just wish I could retire and fish it daily instead of every other weekend.