PDA

View Full Version : Truckee 7/23

ownfl4g
07-25-2011, 09:15 AM
So I have been lucky enough to try my luck on the Truckee that last two weekends. I have caught fish on the Truckee before with a guide and did fairly well. Last weekend I sadly got skunked but this weekend was another story! I caught three fish but it was a great feeling when I hooked that first fish. The morning was real slow again until I put three more split shots on my line and first cast back out I got this one on Gilligan's caddis pupa fly. Sure its no monster but again, first fish on the Truckee without a guide!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/greenzilla/fish.jpg

Frank R. Pisciotta
07-25-2011, 11:25 AM
"...its no monster but again, first fish on the Truckee without a guide!"

ownfl4g---Hey, it is a wild trout! Put your time in on the BT and progressively you'll learn some of its secrets. Relative to weight/lead, while sub-surface fishing; I like to advise anglers:

"...when in doubt, add..."

Frank R. Pisciotta

amoeba
07-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Another day - a different story:

Nobody caught a damn thing last night and there were a bunch of us - some on foot, others in various watercraft, a few gear chuckers. I myself tried various caddis pupa, and caddis/may dries. Very light hatch, no rises seen anywhere - in sum - just a whole lot of nothing. Fished Hirschdale between Juniper Creek to upstream of the interstate crossing a ways. Plenty of company, and nice weather anyway.

Just thought everyone should know before they mob the place up any more than it is, thinking it is on fire. It ain't necessarily.

aaron
07-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Last night sucked. Good talking to Andy Burk in his new place and nice to meet bigjim.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/astiny4/DSC_0098.jpg

ownfl4g
07-25-2011, 08:38 PM
I happened to find a nice area on the BT and didn't see anyone else all day, the little Truckee was a mad house though...big mistake going there on my part.

Frank R. Pisciotta
07-26-2011, 07:38 AM
I happened to find a nice area on the BT and didn't see anyone else all day, the little Truckee was a mad house though...big mistake going there on my part.

ownf49---Looking for rising trout on the BT Sunday at dusk ...nada. I was in the "canyon" yesterday, mid-afternoon and saw four (4) vehicles parked. Water is a nice pea-green & serious water flow for wading.

Monday night on LT for the last hour...nada also.:crybaby: It is all about right place & time; sometimes you hit & sometimes you don't.

Frank R. Pisciotta

SHigSpeed
07-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Last night sucked. Good talking to Andy Burk in his new place and nice to meet bigjim.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/astiny4/DSC_0098.jpg

Hey, that fish "belongs" to the GGFC!

Looks like fun!

_SHig

bigfly
07-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Most folks that live/fish here get spanked from time to time.
It's partly what drives us, and keeps us here.
These waters are a notch or so harder than some.
Difficulty can stem partly from damn release changes.
These can mean abrupt flow level changes, or temp changes too.
These can spoil your day. Some knowledge of local waters helps you avoid this.
And...not all water is created equal.
The bugs aren't spread evenly, and some water holds fish only at certain flows.
The highly pressured fish are not totally stupid either.
A reliance on only one approach to flyfishing can limit success as well.
Deciding at home while packing, how it will go down, is not a good plan.
Take a temp, watch the air, do a bug seine.
If what I'm doing isn't working, I move or change it up.
I've said before, that many years ago I took Ralph's advice to swim the river.
Most serious fishermen should take this advice here. (Bring a mask.)
You'll quit wishing, and get to fishing.
Hang tuff, raise your game here and reap the rewards.
Good job Terry!

Jim

EricW
07-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Great work! Sorry, wrong word ;) Well done!

Down here on the NV side the water is getting more friendly though you'll still be hard pressed to find somewhere to cross. The bank is starting to show itself again, and you can even get around the willows. Evening hatch is going bonkers with saddle caddis, mahogany spinners and little yellow stones (these seem to be a serious size or two bigger than normal). Dry fly is shorted lived but on in the side waters, many of the typical pools are still too swift. Many have changed and there may even be a boulder or two where there weren't before. Takes some searching but it's worth it. GL!

El Rey
07-26-2011, 01:43 PM
I gave the meadow section of the LT a try yesterday, Monday, but it was too high and fast. Gave up and went over to the Big T. Walked across to opposite the sewer plant and fished the pocket water.

Fished nymphs with lots of weight and was rewarded with a 14"er. Nothing more in the afternoon. Had to stop frequently for the flotillas of inner tubes and rafts bearing bikini-clad barbies and their beer guzzling beaus.

About 5:30 I was about to give up when I started to see rises. Switched to dries, an EC caddis, and managed to land 2 out of four takes. Finally had to pack it in at 6:30 for the drive home.

Probably my best day on the Truckee.

yFly10
07-26-2011, 01:55 PM
The Truckee rewards those that are patient with her. Like Jim said, one day can be your best day of fishing, your next day can be nada.

JGB
07-26-2011, 05:21 PM
So true, all of it.

Been carrying a pair of swimmer's goggles for years. Some mid-days I'll spend more time swimmin' than fishin'!!

ownfl4g
07-26-2011, 08:46 PM
And what exactly do you guys look for when your swimming? I will be heading back up Saturday morning and my thing is just learning where to access the River. I am trying to avoid crowds as the peace is partly why I go but catching fish wins that battle by far. I picked up a map at mountain hardware so maybe that will be of some help. Also, what exactly do I need to fish license wise once I cross into Nevada?

Dan LeCount
07-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Nevada has short term licenses and year round ones you can buy. Also youll need a trout stamp. Year round licenses were somewhere around 90$ if memory serves, short terms ones(1-2 days) were around 15-20 and you can choose extra days beyond that around 7$ a day. Nevada Drug stores, sporting good stores, Kmart all have them. I think I got mine last year at Kens Sporting Goods in Bridgeport.

Ralph
07-27-2011, 07:24 AM
And what exactly do you guys look for when your swimming?

Look at everything. Learn what kind of structure is holding fish (it changes throughout the year depending on species). Watch how the fish react to different food. You'll be surprised at how often they break "the rules" (many times they not on the bottom or edges but are feeding mid water column in the fastest current, or are only taking bugs that are NOT drifting drag free, most terrestrials are taken when drowned, etc).

JGB
07-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Later in the summer, particularly when it gets hot, fishing can slow waaaaay down, so swimming, rock/cliff jumping, etc...is a good way to cool off and to educate ones self a little bit about life underwater.

Swimming provides an oppurtunity to view a fish's environment and it's habits. One can learn about the topography(?) of the stream underwater, do a quick bug survey, find the best fish lies, learn new drifts for your presentation, ...etc.

It is quite a learning experience. It really is a different world down there! Fish that will flee at any sign of movement above surface, will sometimes let you swim right up to them below surface. Kinda cool.

One wonders what kind of pix one could take with all these new fangled cameras?

Try it, it's fun and educational. Swimmers goggles are cheap, light and easy to stash in your vest. It will also lessen your learning curve.