PDA

View Full Version : 9wt. clouser rod

ssy
07-24-2011, 07:03 AM
What's your opinion on this rod for stripers.

Jay Murakoshi
07-24-2011, 07:50 AM
I use it and like it but I'm leaning more towards the BVK 8 and 9 wt rods. I think these two rods are a little faster in the tip (stiffer). I'm going to use the 9 wt in baja and see if it can withstand a 100lb or even a 50lb tuna :-). Either rod is fine for stripers.
Go to the shop and cast both of them and then you can decide for yourself

My opinion

Jay

mems
07-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Aloha, the clouser rod was designed to through heavy flies, like clousers. It is a little shorter, 8'9" and has nice features. If you are going to throw weighted flies, then this is a great choice. The BVK Jay mentions is in my opinion, the finest rod TFO makes. I am a sales rep for them and I love their rods, but this one is just awesome. I have the new BVK reel matched with an 8wt and love it for bones here in Hawaii. It throws a tight loop and is like fishing a 4wt all day, the combo is that light. It has the back bone to land big strong fish. I normally fish small flies with this rod for bones, and have not tried it with heavy clousers. It might have some kick with the heavier flies, but I am not sure. You should go to Bill's shop and give them both a test drive. You can't go wrong with either rod, Mems.

Jay Murakoshi
07-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Mem's

I throw 2/0 Crease flies with it and some sea habits. I've been out practicing for the October trip. I don't want a Crease fly stuck in a$$. I'm using the 9wt BVK with a RIO OBS WF-10-F/I so I have enough line to get the big flies in motion. The BVK told me that it wants to tangle with that 100lb + tuna that the 9wt TiCrX couldn't handle. The rod did fine but not enough backing on the Galvan T-10 :-)

I can't wait only 8 weeks to go

Jay

mems
07-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Hey Jay, good luck on a 100lb ahi. I got a 50lb one yesterday on a rainy's pink popper on a shimano spin rod with 40lb test leader. It took me 45 minutes of tug a war to get the fish up to the boat. I have a spheros reel spooled with 500 yards of 30lb bionic braid. The fish smoked 300 yds off and headed under the boat. That is a 1,000 feet of line between me and the boat. If you get a 100lber I would rather have the TFO bluewater rod than the BVK. Good luck, by the way nice picture of the monster rooster. Looked like the guy was going to take that fish across the threshold of his honeymoon bungalow. I hope to get back down there next summer. Love that light house! Take care, Don.