PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis

troutosarus
07-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Any suggestions for a fly pattern? There really are a few Damsels on the lake. I fished Cow Creek three times last week. One day a Damsel works and the next day nothing. What do you all suggest?

TroutNoDoubt
07-23-2011, 09:29 PM
That was the fly with the most success last weekend. Boat man was sencond best.

Terry Imai
07-23-2011, 11:36 PM
I have probably spent more time on my fly tying bench to find the ultimate damsel pattern of Davis Lake and after having some fine days along with days where the fish handed my hat to me have taught me a few things. Some commercially tied patterns (especially from out of state stores) may have their version of a damsel but I believe the Davis Lake fish get very particular during the damsel hatch. The two tips I would suggest is:

1. Don't weight your bugs along with you cannot retrieve your presentation too slow. Damsel nymphs move very slow and most fisherman retrieve in a very rapid 1-2' pulls. We're talking inches per the half minute.

2. If you have done step #1 as described, then get in the mindset that you need to start changing your bugs when you get those nice rises and throw your fly into the fish and are not getting any grabs. If you make a good cast where you didn't line the fish and don't get a take, I would change your pattern after three or four casts. I was on Davis Lake one morning where I probably changed my pattern 15-20 times until I found the "right" one for that day and proceeded to catch almost every working fish around during the next hour while the "hatch" was on.

Footnote, that same pattern that worked so well the previous day would buy me one fish on the following day. Go figure...

troutosarus
07-24-2011, 04:57 AM
Headed to Lake Davis in about one hour thanks for the input. I know a slow retrieve is a must but then there is sloooooow. I will let you all know what the Damsel hatch numbers look like.