PDA

View Full Version : salmon on the fly

ganderlander2
07-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Looking for some help, would like to catch a salmon on the fly this year. Any gear recommendation? I was thinking maybe a 9 wght, would it crossover to a good striper rig? Don't want to spend a fortune but i also want a rod and reel to have a good warranty and last awhile if taken care of. Thanks

Tony Buzolich
07-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Hey Gander ?????

A 9 weight is ideal for both salmon and stripers. Will you be fishing from the bank and wading or a boat?

If you are intersted in a new rod for both fish I have a NEW Sage RPL 9100 that Sage just warrantied for me and has never been cast since they returned it. I've got the original tube and sock for it as well, all for $300.00.

Seeings how you live in Yuba City come on over and try it out.
TONY

ganderlander2
07-24-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm very interested. I'm building the va hospitol in redding right now, but if you still have the rod in a couple weeks ill snatch it up from you

Tony Buzolich
07-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Gander,

Once you get yourself a rod there usually are plenty of salmon in the river just below the Bonneview Rd. boat ramp. I used to go through the bushes below the ramp and cross a small side channel onto an island. Wading was iffy depending upon water depth but there were lots of salmon in the main river there and later steelhead in the side channel.

Best to check with the Fly Shop about where you can go and also any regulations pertaining to winter run fish.
Good luck, TONY

fishsticker78
08-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Make sure if you're going for salmon, fish below Deschutes Road Bridge. Otherwise the wardens won't be very happy.

arwrestler141
08-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey guys, I am headed to that area this weekend and will be staying in Yuba. Recommend any good spots for fly and hardware from bank? What town is the boat ramp at?

Tony Buzolich
08-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Hi ? AR?

There are four ramps in the Yuba City area that access the Feather and the Yuba Rivers.

The first is the city ramp located about a block east of the fairgrounds over the levee next to the airport.

The second is Boyd's Pump which is located about 5 miles south of town off Garden Hwy.

The third is on the Marysville side located below the 5th St. bridge and is accessed from the River Front park.

And the last is the Star Bend ramp located 5-6 miles below Linda off Feather River Blvd.

Any of these will get you on the water then it's up to you to find the fish.
TONY