PDA

View Full Version : Stripping guards question.

dog
07-22-2011, 08:39 AM
I finally got some guards and used them on the Delta and they really made a differance. My question is have any of you found a material that is close to the stuff used in these guards. I would think silk or satin gloves mithe work and just cut the fingers off the glove. 1 pr. 10 guards way of thinking. I think they were about 5-6 bucks for 3. They seem to tear up pretty fast. Any ideas????

SHigSpeed
07-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Buff has a new glove out that has great sun coverage and really burly stripping pads built in.

I'm strongly considering getting a pair but they are about twice the cost of the nomal sungloves.

Stripee guards are really nice though for if you don't want the whole glove.

_SHig

Darian
07-22-2011, 11:01 AM
If all you're interested in is protecting your fingers from line burn, try wrapping your finger with the self adhesive gauze used for wrapping tennis racquet handles. Cheap. Will last for a day but doesn't afford UV ray protection.... :-|

Tony Buzolich
07-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Hey Dog??? Nice if you used your real name.

Some of the finest stripping guards out there are "Kim's Stripping Guards" available through Feather River Fly. They are made of Lycra Spandex with Ultra-suede reinforcement and completely stitched ends for greater longevity and wear. Peterson's Stripping guards which have been on the market for a long time are simply cut ends with no padding or reinforced areas.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/fingerupload.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/fingersupload.jpg

Ours can be made larger or smaller upon request to fit an individual's size hands at no extra charge.

Give me a call or e-mail at Feather River Fly,
TONY

oldtrout
07-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Duct tape.

waynesyn
07-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I had a bunch of stripping guards made up from a gal that goes to Chico State and works at the costume dept.
I can sell some to you at my cost, $1 each, shipped for free.
PM me if you are interested.
Wayne

Double_Haul
07-25-2011, 07:56 AM
I bought a remnant piece of lycra bathing suit material from a fabric store for $1. Will probably last me 10 years. The material lasts quite well and I can get 5 or more trips easy out of one guard. Takes about 10 minutes to sew up half a dozen with the wifes sewing machine. Not bad for basically free

Mike O
07-25-2011, 08:09 AM
On the band-aid aisle of your favorite store is a finger guard. Kinda like an Ace Bandage for your finger. Heavy duty stuff.

Frank Alessio
07-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I like Kim's a lot better than tape and band aids...

Darian
07-25-2011, 06:58 PM
I kinda like them better, too.... :nod:

BillB
07-25-2011, 07:30 PM
". . . we don't need no stinking guides!" It's amazing how painful, given the insignificance of the wound, line burn is.

Mike O
07-25-2011, 07:32 PM
I like Kim's a lot better than tape and band aids...

not band-aids...."on the band-aid aisle"

they are made of elastic material.

dog
07-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Thank you for all of your input. I took Double Haul's advise and looked at some lycra material from a fabric store. 2.00 later and an hour on the machine and I now have about 35 guards that are the perfect lenght and custom fit. Thanks again and tight lines.