PDA

View Full Version : Dept of fish and game on the fall river this past monday

Hibbygibi
07-15-2011, 03:33 PM
On my way back to the Cal-Trout put in, I saw a very large pram with a jet outboard at the dock. It was a Dept of Fish and Game boat being used to shock the river and retrieve fish for a survey being done on 60 rivers thru out the state. I had a convesation with the two biologist about the specifics that they were looking for..PCB's Methyl mercury in particular. What I found interesting was they did not know much about the fishery and were asking ? like is this river stocked? has the fishery deteriorated?etc. I mentioned the issues of the Eurasian Watermilfoil which they were not aware of either.I asked if they had spoken with anyone from Cal-trout or the Fall River Conservancy and their response was they had left a message but never got a return call from Cal-Trout and that they were not aware of the Fall River Conservancy. ( humm) you think you would like to know some history of a fishery before you start a study.
They were also going to be checking the Pit, and Hat. The results of their findings will take 1 -1 1/2 yrs to be published. In any event, the gents were informative and I wanted to pass this info along
This will give you a report from 2006.. and you can look around from their
http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_...report2006.pdf
Edit/Delete Message

huntindog
07-17-2011, 03:35 PM
in their defense these individuals are not doing habitat inventories, they are not studying population dynamics, they were not doing a watershed specific study..they were collecting samples over a large survey area to be studied for what sounds like a fairly broad toxicology study...I am sure they do not have time to research each one of the rivers they are studying regarding information that does not apply to their own study.

Hibbygibi
07-18-2011, 02:11 AM
No one was attacking them...

in their defense these individuals are not doing habitat inventories, they are not studying population dynamics, they were not doing a watershed specific study..they were collecting samples over a large survey area to be studied for what sounds like a fairly broad toxicology study...I am sure they do not have time to research each one of the rivers they are studying regarding information that does not apply to their own study.

fishsticker78
07-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I am fairly certain these were not DFG biologist, but likely State or Regional Water Quality Control Board water quality biologists. They may have been using a DFG boat to access locations on the Fall. This would explain their lack of knowledge and current issues of Fall River.

On my way back to the Cal-Trout put in, I saw a very large pram with a jet outboard at the dock. It was a Dept of Fish and Game boat being used to shock the river and retrieve fish for a survey being done on 60 rivers thru out the state. I had a convesation with the two biologist about the specifics that they were looking for..PCB's Methyl mercury in particular. What I found interesting was they did not know much about the fishery and were asking ? like is this river stocked? has the fishery deteriorated?etc. I mentioned the issues of the Eurasian Watermilfoil which they were not aware of either.I asked if they had spoken with anyone from Cal-trout or the Fall River Conservancy and their response was they had left a message but never got a return call from Cal-Trout and that they were not aware of the Fall River Conservancy. ( humm) you think you would like to know some history of a fishery before you start a study.
They were also going to be checking the Pit, and Hat. The results of their findings will take 1 -1 1/2 yrs to be published. In any event, the gents were informative and I wanted to pass this info along
This will give you a report from 2006.. and you can look around from their
http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_...report2006.pdf
Edit/Delete Message