PDA

View Full Version : What are they?

tfish
07-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I've been fishing/backpacking the same place for 25 years now and would like to know what these are. They live on the bottom of wood and rocks next to the shore. They crawl out of the water and turn into dragon flies. The fish really like them!

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm307/tfish38/Backpacking/IMG_8134.jpg

Tony

jbird
07-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Dragonfly nymphs.

http://www.dragonfly-site.com/dragonfly-life-cycle.html

tfish
07-14-2011, 09:41 PM
That was to easy. I'm guessing that different species of dragon flies have different looking nymphs? We also find some 'bugs' that are black and longer then those pictured. They bite but catch trout just as good.

Thanks

Tony

bigfly
07-18-2011, 04:24 PM
The ones that live on vegitation are longer and a bit skinnier. They stalk their prey.
The ones from desert lakes (pyramid) live on the bottom, and remind me of crabs in shape, and are ambush preditors.
Most types are serious preditors, other bugs fear them.....fish love them.

Jim

obfg
07-18-2011, 04:39 PM
What are they?

...They crawl out of the water and turn into dragon flies...

Umm, chickens? Vienna sausages? aliens? :lol::lol::lol:

1flyfisher
07-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Yes there are various different types of dragonfly nymphs in different shapes and sizes, some short and fat, some longer. There are many different types of dragon flies and damsels in every color imaginable(adults). I saw a red damsel adult a few years ago on davis. Mostly blue damsels in the west/ca sierra's. Depending on the lake and the type of underwater structure, weed beds, rocks, mud etc will dictate the types of dragonflies that will inhabit a particular lake. Some will live in rocks and/or weedbeds, some will burrow into the bottom mud/sand(pyramid).
If a bug similar to a dragon fly nymph has mandibles and bites it may likely be a hellgramite.

That was to easy. I'm guessing that different species of dragon flies have different looking nymphs? We also find some 'bugs' that are black and longer then those pictured. They bite but catch trout just as good.

Thanks

Tony

Rockman
07-19-2011, 10:35 AM
The ones that are thinking of biting you are Hellgramites.;)
The ones that do bite you are called Hellgrabites, and it hurts like hell.:---)

BenFishin
07-19-2011, 04:11 PM
I almost thought it was a trick question :-)