PDA

View Full Version : monterey bay rock fishing?

mar
07-12-2011, 06:17 PM
My brother and I are thinking about taking the little 15-ft boat to Monterey bay this Friday(launching out of Moss Landing).
I've never fished the ocean before and would like some much needed advice:

1. Safety: Monterey bay forecast from weather underground:
(Fri
W winds 10 kt. Wind waves less than 2 ft. W swell 3 to 5 ft. Patchy fog. )
Is this doable? My boat can handle some rough chops in the west delta: how is this forecast in comparison? Any other safety tips?

2. We're planning on fishing for rockfish off the kelp beds. From what I've dug up so far, it seems to be a decent time to go after them. I'll be tossing flies, he'll be flinging lures. Any general tips? I'm thinking of bringing my striper sinking lines and flies.

3. Roughly how far off the coast can we expect to run before having a decent chance of finding fish?

4. When you locate a kelp bed, what's the typical approach? Blind casting? Idling around to mark fish?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mar

koffler
07-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Mar-

Back in the day (read mid 1990's) my buddy's dad was the harbor master out of central santa cruz (the docking area that took the beating based off the sunami (sp?) which occurred earlier this year. Here's a brief re-cap, not sure if it will help:

- We used to run straight out of the harbor about a mile, maybe < less than a mile; there was and assume there is still is alot of structure and kelp beds. We fished flies on type 6 cortland heads (dating myslef) using around a size 1/0 fly - only consisted of red crystal flash as the underbody tied in at the eye with either bronze or silver crystal flash over the top - fly was very sparse. I've been flyfishing for along time and consider me dedicated to the pursuit - to that we point we caught some but rockfish are deep and we went tradtional gear when need be - they taste good.

I think CDFG put limits on them a few years back, maybe longer. They used to be a dime a dozen but things have changed. We went out in a 16' boston whaler, we got beat up but at the sametime we're as safe as could be all things considered. Call the Santa Cruzs harbor or any of the fisheries off of Half Moon Bay and I would imagine they would be willing to offer some advice. Good luck and be safe.

Sidebar - late fall if you run out of santa cruz towards the watsonville/monterey area in the bays the salmon fishing can be good. They just lifted the mandates which were in place over the past several years. We caught some on flies stripping whisters and its a blast - something to keep in mind if the opportunity exists.

Jason

GreggH
07-12-2011, 10:01 PM
PDF. Fish the edges and don't be afraid to let the fly count down, they will pounce on the drop. PFD. If it's really flat try to get in as close as you can to the wash rock's and pound those little bastards. If the conditions are right and you can get out at first light you can get some top water action with a brown Crease fly. Did I mention a PFD?

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/IMG_2087.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/greggh_fish/DSC01526.jpg

mar
07-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Jason and GreggH,
Thanks much for the info and tips. It should be a fun trip, fish or no fish. I've had some decent luck fishing new waters for the first time. Hoping the streak continues....

Mar